Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joasis from CT asked these questions. Any Ideas?
if you are allowed by code to have a floor drain in a residence, without a "pan",then why not a shower without a pan?
Why are showers in commercial (IBC) not required shower pans?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I can't explain anything about your commercial showers. On the floor drain....I assume you are talking as in a basement, or a laundry room, I suppose the rationale would be that those area are normally dry. The floor drain is to handle emergencies only.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
We always use inserts. If its a tiled shower then all it gets is a drain and the tile guy handles the encloser

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Joasis from CT asked these questions. Any Ideas?
if you are allowed by code to have a floor drain in a residence, without a "pan",then why not a shower without a pan?
Why are showers in commercial (IBC) not required shower pans?
When you use the word "pan" are you referring to the waterproofing or the curb? As has already been suggested a floor drain is not required to have a membrane in most cases because it is only meant to collect accidental spills or overflows.

As far as commercial showers they fall under the same section as residential showers, Section 417 of the IPC. That of course is with the exception of emergency rinsing showers.

Mark

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
We always use inserts. If its a tiled shower then all it gets is a drain and the tile guy handles the encloser
Tiles guys want nothing to do with those aggravating membranes and insurance co's apparently agree here.

Pans are in the plumbing code, which was great when everything was copper, now I get to fumble with that crap and halfways pass out from the glue...oh goody!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
We install the fiberglass inserts.

But if it is a tiled shower they do the tiling we just rough in the drain for them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts