Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
A keg with a clean out, now that's some dope schit.

Seems like it should hold more than 50psi, but I've also had a 2" cap blow off at 30psi :surprise: and that isn't fun so I guess 50psi is high enough :smile:

Here’s where I heard about it from.... fermenting with zero o2 is a game changer, same as temperature control, which I now have.... just need to find time to brew.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
I picked a ton of apples from my trees upstate and now I am making home made apple cider vinegar....they have been fermenting a few days, I have to wait around 2 weeks or so then filter out the chunks, squeeze any juice from them and let the liquid ferment another 4 to 6 weeks then taste and see if it needs more time...

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
I picked a ton of apples from my trees upstate and now I am making home made apple cider vinegar....they have been fermenting a few days, I have to wait around 2 weeks or so then filter out the chunks, squeeze any juice from them and let the liquid ferment another 4 to 6 weeks then taste and see if it needs more time...
I think if I were to make cider again I’d build a hydraulic press out of one of those harbor freight Shop presses. The old school hand crank ones aren’t very efficient. Two years ago I had pressed so many apples that the trash truck had a hard time picking up the bin! Guy even got out to see why it was so heavy.

I didn’t press last year and this year I have so much going on around the house I don’t think I’ll have time.

I’ve never made apple cider vinegar before. Maybe I’ll fit in an experiment....

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
I think if I were to make cider again I’d build a hydraulic press out of one of those harbor freight Shop presses. The old school hand crank ones aren’t very efficient. Two years ago I had pressed so many apples that the trash truck had a hard time picking up the bin! Guy even got out to see why it was so heavy.

I didn’t press last year and this year I have so much going on around the house I don’t think I’ll have time.

I’ve never made apple cider vinegar before. Maybe I’ll fit in an experiment....
I use alot of ACV its very healthy..so I have a ton of apples and have enough apple sauce to last a decade, so I figured i would try making vinegar..I have a 12 ton home made press for auto mechanics and stuff, I can easily press apples in it...

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
I use alot of ACV its very healthy..so I have a ton of apples and have enough apple sauce to last a decade, so I figured i would try making vinegar..I have a 12 ton home made press for auto mechanics and stuff, I can easily press apples in it...
That’s the setup I want to make. The crank style leaves way too much juice in the pulp.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
That’s the setup I want to make. The crank style leaves way too much juice in the pulp.
harbor freight has their 20 ton presses on sale all the time for well under $200, I have one and it works great, it would cost me more in materials if I wanted to make one, the home made one I have is like 30 years old...with a bottle jack for pressing..
heres harbor freight 12 ton for $139.00 use a coupon or wait till it goes on sale..

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
harbor freight has their 20 ton presses on sale all the time for well under $200, I have one and it works great, it would cost me more in materials if I wanted to make one, the home made one I have is like 30 years old...with a bottle jack for pressing..
heres harbor freight 12 ton for $139.00 use a coupon or wait till it goes on sale..

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html
Make a collection tray With spout, 5 gallon a bucket with holes, press plate, fruit bag and extension blocks. Trick is to go slow with the press.

You’re making me want to press again this year! I still have 30#s of blueberries in the freezer....

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
I have alot of blue berries planted upstate, but they are still young small bushes..but they are growing like crazy..I usually eat them as i pick them..

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Couple things...

Got a call from a former club president saying his laundry line was backed up. Turned out to be the main. I’ll post a couple of picks. Had to cable it 4 times. Only way I could get out 100’ was with my 2” cutter. He insisted on paying the full amount.

Went to Brickhaven, another former club president that went pro, the one a few blocks from me Wednesday for dinner. We like to have a beer and a wine or seltzer or cider and play cards. Sometimes Uno or golf. Well, since we like to play cards at the lake, which can be windy, we decided to figure out how to play golf with mahjong tiles. A guy asked what we were playing. Well he knows Mormon golf, which is the same game with slightly different rules, so we invited him to play. He rents down here... in a building I take care of, two blocks from my house. He spends the weekends at his house up north, not far from my neighbor’s cabin.

Went again tonight for dinner and a few games. The VP of my club and his wife came in as we were finishing up. Our club term limits are up soon. He’ll be the next president and I’ll be VP for the next 2 years, which means I’ll be president next.

Matt’s root issue. 8 years in the house, never cleaned the line. Filled a menards bag. He was scared he needed it replaced, which the big guys would try to sell. Easily maintainable!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Wife likes hard seltzer. Been thinking of making some. Spoiler alert, at the end they talk about using turbo yeast, or distiller’s yeast. Same thing my buddy uses at his brewery for his hard seltzer.

241 - 252 of 252 Posts