Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I have not. I do buy a cider vinegar with the mother from the store. Helps my kid with his eczema. Not a bad idea!
I have been buying ACV from the store too, but came across a few recipes online, I want to use back strap molasses and I have a tone of apple trees upstate and im tired of just making apple sauce...its just fermenting the apple/sugar mixture to make it, figured its right up your alley since your already fermenting for beer...

·
Registered
8,975 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
you should start googling edible and medicinal plants of the northeast, there are a ton that grow by us and have a ton of benefits, in sure there are some that could naturally help your son..just do some reading .....heres a link to start you off..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...icles/324228&usg=AOvVaw1mM7GYLueMonoimT8VznIc
My family has always been about homeopathic medicine. Cumphry tea, mud to draw the poison out for a sting... honey!

I’ll have to check that site out!

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Most of the stuff in the article we do.

The skin doctor prescribed steroids. The allergy doctor told us how to treat it.

Fcking doctors! All about the $$$$. And people complain about plumbers.

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Cold crashed. Decanted, left most of the berries in. Hopped wort added. One is doing better than the other. No off flavors or sour characteristics. So far so good.

Going to let them ride till next weekend, cold crash, remove the berries, combine and put on the stir plate.

Might be making an extra keg of cider this year!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Reactions: OpenSights

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Tomorrow my kid turns 12. He asked for a giant chocolate chip cookie Instead of a birthday cake. Turns out you can’t buy one from a local grocery store. We don’t really feel like trying, fcking it up and giving away his surprise.

Soooo, yesterday I stopped into my buddy’s brewery and asked if his chef would be willing to bake one. It was during rush hour for dinner so he said he’d get back to me. Couple hours later he texted back “Saturday super cookie secret surprise is a go!”

Today is my wife and my anniversary and she wanted to go there before the kid got home from school. Ben, my buddy, made sure to mention not to talk about it to anyone as this is a special favor for a friend.

They were open for takeout growlers and food during lock down and we’d stop in once or twice a week. After the lockdown ended we were invited to a private party for the customers who helped them make it through.

Great guys! The chef makes some awesome food! The homebrew community is very close nit, kinda like the plumbing company I found out here.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I couldn't not post this here :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
I couldn't not post this here :biggrin:

Making toilet paper moonshine - YouTube
Wow! Talk about jail time hooch!

Lots of science in distilling, same with brewing, wine and mead. Probably why I like brewing. I’ve been studying distilling, which is illegal in the states, but has upped my brewing game.

When you get into water chemistry, it’s a game changer.

Basically he used a pot still so he had to make stripping runs. If you run a reflux still at the right temperature you only need to run once. A sugar wash with turbo yeast you can achieve 93+%. Obviously you want to proof down, age with oak, or leave neutral.

With a reflux still, if you’re patient, and have 12+ hours you can distill 15 gallons of wash or mash once and done.

TP:vs_laugh: Hey, he proved it can be done! One of the early lessons one should learn is about fermentable sugars and un fermentable sugars. His whole process was chemically turning an un fermentable sugar into a fermentable one.

Awesome lesson! Not a practical method, but definitely useful info for the back of the brain.

Only criticism is his use of the hydrometer. Wrong tool for alcohol! That only measure sugar content. To accurately measure ABV is to know your OG, original gravity, and your FG, final gravity, and plug them into an app. To accurately measure proof of alcohol you need a whole different meter.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Only criticism is his use of the hydrometer. Wrong tool for alcohol! That only measure sugar content. To accurately measure ABV is to know your OG, original gravity, and your FG, final gravity, and plug them into an app. To accurately measure proof of alcohol you need a whole different meter.
https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-ch...ol-levels-the-kitchns-beer-school-2015-217260

Pure water has a density of 1 while pure ethanol has a density of 0.789. Therefore the hydrometer will sink more in ethanol. It's simple algebra to figure out what your percentage of ethanol is when the hydrometer floats at any point between these two values.

If he had other dissolved chemicals like you would have in beer than the math isn't so easy. Since all he had was water and ethanol taking one measurement is more than accurate enough. He doesn't need to know the original and final gravity values.

I'm pretty sure this guy knows his maths, he is very thorough.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
221 - 240 of 252 Posts