Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
.....I’m boycotting the forum because of the Very liberal admin.....

Yeah, I can understand, I have been reticent to come on here as often. Been trying to ignore the political issues rather than boycott this site altogether. I don't have a facebook so this is it for me as far as social media.

I wouldn't mind the politics on here if it was kept to the political section. Unfortunately politics are increasingly brought into every aspect of life these days and this site is no bastion of peace.

It's one thing to make a joke, like the picture of biden smelling jenner's hair and saying it smelled like wheaties, that was freaking hilarious, but the jokes based on the pretense of an insult are what bother me. Stereotypes can make for great humor so long as it's based on a mutual understanding that the stereotype is a stereotype and not fact. When a stereotype is presented as fact you're contributing to falsehoods rooted in hyperbole. I can't stand hyperbole, regardless of which side of the political aisle it comes from.

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Yeah, I can understand, I have been reticent to come on here as often. Been trying to ignore the political issues rather than boycott this site altogether. I don't have a facebook so this is it for me as far as social media.

I wouldn't mind the politics on here if it was kept to the political section. Unfortunately politics are increasingly brought into every aspect of life these days and this site is no bastion of peace.

It's one thing to make a joke, like the picture of biden smelling jenner's hair and saying it smelled like wheaties, that was freaking hilarious, but the jokes based on the pretense of an insult are what bother me. Stereotypes can make for great humor so long as it's based on a mutual understanding that the stereotype is a stereotype and not fact. When a stereotype is presented as fact you're contributing to falsehoods rooted in hyperbole. I can't stand hyperbole, regardless of which side of the political aisle it comes from.

I thought about starting a thread about erasing history here, like the removal of black icons from products that they invented just after the civil war when they were freed and became millionaires, and descendants are really angry about it, but decided not to.

Please don’t make me move this thread.

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
902 Posts
The wells

IMG_20200609_090508.jpg The one with the foot is the sulphur spring "therapeutic" water it really is... Went to get water for my brews... The wells are great water artesian wells... Filled up a bunch of jugs...

The sulphur well is great when your hands or joints are sore you wash with that and bam its gone.. Stinks like rotten eggs though...

The other spring is up the hill its sulphury too but disicipates within 24 hrs and the water is tasty! Its so nice and refreshing can't wait to make beer with it.. Ive drank both of the water the top well is perfect to drink right out the tap like u said slightly sulphur...
Down the hill is another story little hard on the stomach lol... It was a dare

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
View attachment 119890 The one with the foot is the sulphur spring "therapeutic" water it really is... Went to get water for my brews... The wells are great water artesian wells... Filled up a bunch of jugs...

The sulphur well is great when your hands or joints are sore you wash with that and bam its gone.. Stinks like rotten eggs though...

The other spring is up the hill its sulphury too but disicipates within 24 hrs and the water is tasty! Its so nice and refreshing can't wait to make beer with it.. Ive drank both of the water the top well is perfect to drink right out the tap like u said slightly sulphur...
Down the hill is another story little hard on the stomach lol... It was a dare

This is an article about the fountain in one of hometowns in Connecticut, Salisbury. My grandfather, who lived off grid (Great Depression kid) would get his drinking water from. No picture of it, but it was fed by a spring at the top of the mountain. Awesome water!

My neighbors cabin up north has awesome water! I always bring home enough to make a 10 gallon batch, or two 5 gallon batches!

Your mind will be blown if you get into water chemistry! I’ve only touched on it and I had to back off a bit. Yeast is an interesting topic! Been a few weeks since I hit the books... need to get back.

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
902 Posts
This is an article about the fountain in one of hometowns in Connecticut, Salisbury. My grandfather, who lived off grid (Great Depression kid) would get his drinking water from. No picture of it, but it was fed by a spring at the top of the mountain. Awesome water!

My neighbors cabin up north has awesome water! I always bring home enough to make a 10 gallon batch, or two 5 gallon batches!

Your mind will be blown if you get into water chemistry! I’ve only touched on it and I had to back off a bit. Yeast is an interesting topic! Been a few weeks since I hit the books... need to get back.

That well is closest to my house there are 2 others close by... also where my mom lives she has 2 more wells close by

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #210

I’m an idiot! Forgot to post the article!

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/04/nyregion/salisburys-spring-draws-the-thirsty.html

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
So I got a call yesterday from the maintenance guy that gave me the carboy that has that 7’ish y/o barleywine. He’s cleaning out his storage unit, says he has no time to brew anymore. Meeting up Tuesday to buy his collection.

Not sure what’s all involved, I know a carboy, A pinlock keg, buckets and lids, beakers for starters....

VT, you need to get into yeast starters! It’s a game changer!

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
902 Posts
So I got a call yesterday from the maintenance guy that gave me the carboy that has that 7’ish y/o barleywine. He’s cleaning out his storage unit, says he has no time to brew anymore. Meeting up Tuesday to buy his collection.

Not sure what’s all involved, I know a carboy, A pinlock keg, buckets and lids, beakers for starters....

VT, you need to get into yeast starters! It’s a game changer!
I made a yeast starter for the last batch... but coopers yeast not great... I need some more Mason jars lol.. I hate going to grocery store right now and I feel bad getting my wife to pick them up.

But yes I got to get into it... I'm probably going to start a s-04 starter and go from there see how the flavour profile changes...

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
I made a yeast starter for the last batch... but coopers yeast not great... I need some more Mason jars lol.. I hate going to grocery store right now and I feel bad getting my wife to pick them up.

But yes I got to get into it... I'm probably going to start a s-04 starter and go from there see how the flavour profile changes...
Come winter I’ll send you some different yeasts. Beer/wine/mead stuff.

Brickhaven uses s-04 for their stout. I usually use US-05 for my stouts.

S-04 is a beast! After next weekend I’m going to force myself to brew and keg!

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Test...

Will pics load?

Wild yeast. It’ll be fun to experiment! This one is DME, wild raspberries, and some nutrients. That one will make the funky. I brought home some more berries, and made a wort with hops. Suppose to be disinfectant to ward off the bacteria that is used in sours.

This is a three stage process. The picture with the dented lid is how much pressure built up in 4 hours. Very active ferment!

I’m really liking the aspect of harvesting my own yeast.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Cider season has started early this year. We have a convenience store chain here that sells their own cider. UV pasteurized, not heat pasteurized, which can turn the fermentable sugars into non fermentables. $4/gallon when you buy two or more.

I usually make 5 gallons blueberry, 5 tart cherry, 5 ginger.

This year my favorite local brewery put a whiskey barrel aged cider that the wife absolutely loved. I don’t have a whiskey barrel, so I’m thinking of adding a oak spiral to the keg after fermentation and let it age. Figure it should only take a couple months. Or just add a fifth of whiskey when kegging.

I’m going to have to think about this one for a bit.

I only picked up two gallons today, one to drink, one to ferment out and make freezer applejack.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Cider season has started early this year. We have a convenience store chain here that sells their own cider. UV pasteurized, not heat pasteurized, which can turn the fermentable sugars into non fermentables. $4/gallon when you buy two or more.

I usually make 5 gallons blueberry, 5 tart cherry, 5 ginger.

This year my favorite local brewery put a whiskey barrel aged cider that the wife absolutely loved. I don’t have a whiskey barrel, so I’m thinking of adding a oak spiral to the keg after fermentation and let it age. Figure it should only take a couple months. Or just add a fifth of whiskey when kegging.

I’m going to have to think about this one for a bit.

I only picked up two gallons today, one to drink, one to ferment out and make freezer applejack.
have you ever made home made apple cider vinegar??

201 - 220 of 252 Posts