Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not the only one here. Maybe some of you might want to try. You can make as little as a gallon or ten with the right equipment.

The is a very scientific hobby, but you don’t have to make it complicated if you don’t want to. Extract beers are just as fun as brewing all grain.

Brewing beer first before making wine or cider will give you master skills for everything! Sanitization is the foremost important aspect!

There’s a huge range of aspects to brewing! You can decide what you want to brew! Session beer, <4%, or imperial, 10%+... or go with a barleywine and get up to 25% abv+.

This thread is open to all aspects of making alcohol. Mead, cider, beer, wine, braggot, cysers... distillation is illegal in all 50 states, but discussion is not. I have improved my beer listening to distillers.

Here we can share recipes, how brew day went, ask questions, talk equipment, techniques and general chit chat.

Maybe even a bottle share some day?

It is legal to homebrew in the states. It is illegal to sell homebrew, but is legal to share, or gift homebrew.

Admin, if you diss approve, please delete, but I am well versed in the laws regarding this, at least US laws.

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This might be a bit advanced right out of the gate, but Jessie put this one out there not too long ago. Outside of the distilling aspect, he does a great job talking about aeration and yeast, the reaction of the yeast and the product.

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
905 Posts
Awesome.. I can see this thread exploding with everyone being at home.. Just so much more satisfying drinking something hand crafted rather than big chain lagers that taste like water.

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome.. I can see this thread exploding with everyone being at home.. Just so much more satisfying drinking something hand crafted rather than big chain lagers that taste like water.
A couple buddies of mine own a brewery a few blocks from my house. They’re open for take out food and growler fills. Walked down there Saturday and picked up their chocolate stout... I should’ve waited till Sunday. I ran out of the Huggy Bear Brown. Not to worry, they’re back open today, so I’ll head down there in a few.

I’ve helped them on two brew days. Brewing on a seven barrel system is so much fun! My club also has a 7 barrel system. 1-2 times a year we brew a batch. Depending on the grain bill and hops, it’s usually about $30 for 5 gallons of wort. Fire brew was supposed to happen May 9th, but we canceled it. I was anticipating brewing a big RIS beer... so we’re planning on fall now.

My go to commercial beer is Founders All Day IPA. I’ve seen a few clone recipes, but most of them are higher in ABV... I want to clone it to the same or lower gravity.

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
905 Posts
Tons of breweries in my neck of the woods... wonder how many will weather the storm... I love a good Ipa but a lot of the craft breweries i find overdo the hops... I like bitter but when its so bitter makes it makes you gag.. One was a rye ipa I believe was almost unbearable...

my co workers sister is a brew master and she brews awesome stuff... Tiny little town about an hour from anywhere amazing beer..

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tons of breweries in my neck of the woods... wonder how many will weather the storm
Eight former members of my club have gone pro. Club nickname is The Mafia. One has shut down to upgrade, but everyone else is open for takeout.

They definitely aren’t making a profit right now. I think they might be breaking even, or close to hopefully. That’s why I am trying to buy two growlers a week from them. $28 a week for good beer, help out my friends... I’ll drink to that!

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
905 Posts
Eight former members of my club have gone pro. Club nickname is The Mafia. One has shut down to upgrade, but everyone else is open for takeout.

They definitely aren’t making a profit right now. I think they might be breaking even, or close to hopefully. That’s why I am trying to buy two growlers a week from them. $28 a week for good beer, help out my friends... I’ll drink to that!

Exactly, They know who to call when they need a drain snaked.. plus hopefully you can help them make a little bit to pay the rent and you get to try 2 awesome beers a week

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly, They know who to call when they need a drain snaked.. plus hopefully you can help them make a little bit to pay the rent and you get to try 2 awesome beers a week
One of the first times I actually sat at the bar I noticed one of the bar faucets was dripping. Said “Hey Ben! You know I’m a plumber right?” Yeah. “You know that’s bugging the **** out of me!” Lol! I think it took me three and a half months of two nights a week for the three of us stopping in and playing Uno to use up my tab!

One of the brew days I helped with was their stout. I asked Ben, the older brother if I could buy 5 gallons of worth from them to try out my chocolate covered cherry tincture. We filled my fermentor, asked how much I owed him. “Pffft, when you go commercial 5 gallons is nothing to loose!”

They have to bleed each line from keg to tap every first pour of the day. So they end up dumping about 2 pints per beer tap and 2-3oz of wine per tap per day.

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
905 Posts
One of the first times I actually sat at the bar I noticed one of the bar faucets was dripping. Said “Hey Ben! You know I’m a plumber right?” Yeah. “You know that’s bugging the **** out of me!” Lol! I think it took me three and a half months of two nights a week for the three of us stopping in and playing Uno to use up my tab!

One of the brew days I helped with was their stout. I asked Ben, the older brother if I could buy 5 gallons of worth from them to try out my chocolate covered cherry tincture. We filled my fermentor, asked how much I owed him. “Pffft, when you go commercial 5 gallons is nothing to loose!”

They have to bleed each line from keg to tap every first pour of the day. So they end up dumping about 2 pints per beer tap and 2-3oz of wine per tap per day.

When you order supplies in bulk im sure it doesn't cost much.. Time and creativity are the most expensive.. I woke up the other night heard my toilet fill valve running little things like that bother me too... I fixed at 5am

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh for sure cheaper! For firebrew we get commercial rates. For 5 gallons of All grain RIS @ $30, $5 that goes to the club. Yeah volume is a huge factor! For this RIS, if I bought a five gallon/hop bill at the LHBS it would cost $50 give or take...

I’ve never really asked them what their profit margin is.....

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just want to make some brew now argggg... no brew stores open
Do you have anything like Craigslist up your way? I think Tango mentioned something similar to me once. Basically it’s a free classifieds on line. Most of my equipment is from people who have left the hobby. I kid you not, I’ve bought $2k+ worth of equipment for $200 before!

Check out Morebeer.com and Adventuresinhomebrewing.com. Both are still shipping. My LHBS shut down even though they technically sell “food” items.

Make sure you use PBW and StarSan! Sanitize everything post boil! The threat of infection is real! Food grade plastic only!

Smarty Pints and Bearded and Bored are top notch YouTube channels to learn from.

I still haven’t looked for that book. Today we had a “shower install” that really was a whole house rough... two toilet replacements plus a laundry list, kitchen faucet repair and unf’k a HO repair. Rescheduled two of them.

Look into kegging equipment! Co2 tank, regulator, and corney keg(s)! Bottling sucks! I only bottle for aging 5+ years.

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
905 Posts
Do you have anything like Craigslist up your way? I think Tango mentioned something similar to me once. Basically it’s a free classifieds on line. Most of my equipment is from people who have left the hobby. I kid you not, I’ve bought $2k+ worth of equipment for $200 before!

Check out Morebeer.com and Adventuresinhomebrewing.com. Both are still shipping. My LHBS shut down even though they technically sell “food” items.

Make sure you use PBW and StarSan! Sanitize everything post boil! The threat of infection is real! Food grade plastic only!

Smarty Pints and Bearded and Bored are top notch YouTube channels to learn from.

I still haven’t looked for that book. Today we had a “shower install” that really was a whole house rough... two toilet replacements plus a laundry list, kitchen faucet repair and unf’k a HO repair. Rescheduled two of them.

Look into kegging equipment! Co2 tank, regulator, and corney keg(s)! Bottling sucks! I only bottle for aging 5+ years.

Canadians Use Kijiji Owned by Ebay never took off in the states... Its the only place i shop cant afford new lol... Im not cheap im frugal got my k3800 for 500 canadian with all the bells and whistles k1500 for 700 thats like 5 us dollars

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just want to make some brew now argggg... no brew stores open
How about making some skeeter pee? (Hard lemonade)

I’ve only made it once and really F’kd it up! I made it from memory. Never do that! I doubled the sugar... didn’t realize it until I took the OG... 1.1xx! :surprise:

I used S-04, which is a beast, but only has a tolerance of 10%. It fermented for three months before I cold crashed it. It hadn’t finished fermenting, the yeast was still working with the help of a nutrient schedule, but I made it for family reunion. It was way sweet and 14.18% ABV.

Last year I brought that, Samuel Jackson’s Bad Mother ****er Cream Ale and a cider.

I’ll have to dig out my redneck kegerator and post some pics...

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Canadians Use Kijiji Owned by Ebay never took off in the states... Its the only place i shop cant afford new lol... Im not cheap im frugal got my k3800 for 500 canadian with all the bells and whistles k1500 for 700 thats like 5 us dollars
That’s it!

I’m right there with you! I just bought a referb 300 only because my 30+y/o 300 would’ve cost $1100 to fix. Now that I have a “new” machine I’m going to try and get my old 300 up and running with my stock pile of parts and sell it. Also thinking of selling my k-6200....

Most of my brewing equipment is used!

I leased a new truck once, but I always buy used now.

1 - 20 of 252 Posts