Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It should be illegal to use pvc on a solar pool heating system, or at least on the roof portion.

Why is it that something that should be against code is the industry standard?

·
Super Moderator
12,501 Posts
Even though the scope of a plumber's license allows us to install solar water and pool heating piping, many plumbers (if not all) leave it to swimming pool or speciality contractors.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the harm in using PVC on solar pool systems? Everybody does it, so it can't be wrong, right? :whistling2:

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, no problems here :whistling2:

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
It should be illegal to use pvc on a solar pool heating system, or at least on the roof portion.

Why is it that something that should be against code is the industry standard?
Would schedule 80 PVC be allowed? Would it still be prone to damage from UV and need to be painted?

Seems to me it would hold up much better than schedule 40.

As for schedule 40 being allowed, I'm sure a lot of it has to do with keeping costs down, not to mention some heavy lobbying from the manufacturers.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sch 80 CPVC is what I use. The pipe is painted with a UV rated exterior paint. It takes about 10 years for the paint to break down and then another 20 years for the pipe to be effected. By that time the panels themselves are past their expected lifespan and so is the roof deck.

Would schedule 80 PVC be allowed? Would it still be prone to damage from UV and need to be painted?

Seems to me it would hold up much better than schedule 40.

As for schedule 40 being allowed, I'm sure a lot of it has to do with keeping costs down, not to mention some heavy lobbying from the manufacturers.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The roof penitrations won't leak if done correctly. straight sections of pipe typically don't a braid the roof. it's where you have a pressure point like a fitting that it tends to wear through.

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
Sch 80 CPVC is what I use. The pipe is painted with a UV rated exterior paint. It takes about 10 years for the paint to break down and then another 20 years for the pipe to be effected. By that time the panels themselves are past their expected lifespan and so is the roof deck.

Is that considering the Florida sun or just in general, just curious?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
How do you think Tom C does his panels, velcro?
i have no idea, but there is no way someone is putting screws in my new roof, ..................i'm just saying.

what about using those plastic blocks that get glued down with roof tar or whatever, like the ones AC people use for condensate drains ?

protech, i am not being critical, just wondering is all

·
FL Solar Pool Heat Pro
11 Posts
Defending Solar Pool Heating and Dispelling Myths

Even though the scope of a plumber's license allows us to install solar water and pool heating piping, many plumbers (if not all) leave it to swimming pool or speciality contractors.
You can avoid a lot of the problems shown here with proper materials and techniques. Black plumbing is particularly prone to the issues presented in this thread, but the main culprit is installations that do not drain down fully and allow water to stagnate in the system. Panels and plumbing that are void of water or have cool pool water running through them do not develop the plumbing warping and sagging. Proper support intervals is also critical. I have documented this in my black solar pool heat plumbing blog post.

As for the roof protection and penetrations, the same thing applies - the right materials and expertise are needed to do it right. All industries have "hacks" as another poster tried to paint the entire solar pool heating industry. That's pretty scathing, but quality installers do exist out there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts