Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught a call today at some properties I normally take care of. It was a house they have converted into apartment style living for women and children. Anywho, I fixed the kitchen sink faucet and I looked up and the sprinkler system is piped in CPVC. The house was redone and had permits pulled on it. I'm kind of thinking if the fire is big enough it would just melt the plastic.. or am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That stuff is temp rated at something over 500 degrees, the heads let go at 145 degrees.
For real? I knew it had to be something to it. Since build permits were pulled. See I learn something new eveyday:thumbup: You are the Dolly Lama of info:eek::laughing:

·
Registered
584 Posts
But the pipe would soften, and with the increased pressures created by heating the water, it would fail.
With the heads open the pressure wouldn't increase much. Especially considering the speed at which the water is traveling it has very little time in the pipe to heat up.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I can understand the concept of boiling water, we done it as kids in a paper cup. But I always thought that a fire supression should be done with iron piping.

New one on me!

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Done work for a few sprinkler fitters in my day and they say that the orange CPVC is one of the better products out there.

He said you could throw that piping in a fire barrel and it won't do anything but wilt, turn black, but won't burn.

I've watched those guys work with that grooved piping and it amazes me how fast they are, and usually one-man bands.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
It's called Blazemaster pipe. It's pretty good stuff. Goes in very fast, which makes it ideal for fast paced construction of apartments, nursing homes, assisted living, and hotels. They are about the only places I see it.

I did an assisted living one time. I put trapeze up and left room for the sprink on it. Only one rule. Do not tee off the side of the pipe. I had to run my mains on there also.They ran to every room right off the side.:furious: I called the guy and he said to chop it out. His fitters were sooo pissed.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First time I have ever seen it, victolic and iron pipe is all I have seen untill now. I imagine its cheaper as well? or no

·
Super Moderator
1,827 Posts
Pvc Fire Suppression

YES IT IS CHEAPER ! :thumbsup:

BUT YOU HAD BETTER GET USED TO SEEING IT ON JOBS, THEY ARE USING PEX COMBO. SYSTEMS :thumbsup:
FOR FIRE AND POTABLE WATER AT SAME TIME,

CA. LIC. FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR SINCE 1990 :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Blaze master has become ruler of the land here. We are even starting to see it done in some commercial applications. However, heavy commercial is still piped in steel either threaded, or victaulic. I have a buddy who is a sprinkler head and they love it.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
YES IT IS CHEAPER ! :thumbsup:

BUT YOU HAD BETTER GET USED TO SEEING IT ON JOBS, THEY ARE USING PEX COMBO. SYSTEMS :thumbsup:
FOR FIRE AND POTABLE WATER AT SAME TIME,

CA. LIC. FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR SINCE 1990 :thumbup:

JERRY MAC

:laughing: I couldn't help myself Jerry!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts