Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we use to be Plumbers until a week ago. We did a small job in the next city (20 miles from our shop). It was a broken water line 4' under the sidewalk. Code enforcement stopped by and asked for our license. We thought we were in the county because the county building is directly across the street. Turns out the county's building is in the city.

Anyhoo - The fine would be $1000.00 if we didn't get our license that day. Go over to the city building and try to apply for a business license. Their response "You have to do three or four jobs before we issue a business license. For today, just pay the fee for a Peddler's license:eek:."

So just like that, we became Peddlers.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
typical gov red tape.

Down in your parts it's like that. I did my apprenticeship / Journey in the SF valley and we would go as far down as Wilshire / Beverly Hills up to Pepperdine back into Ventura. I always remember my bosses *****ing about that.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Here in VA one must have a state contractors license and a county license. When I got stoped I showed them my county license and they said fine, as long as you are registered in any county and have a county license thats active you do not have to purchase a town permit to work. I always carry my state contractors, master plumbers, and county licenses at all times in my wallet.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not like that here. We have a SC State License, one from MASC (Municipal Assoc. of SC), and several more for different counties and cities. When you go to apply, they tell you "You don't need a license to do that." Then you do a job and they ask "where is your license?"

Aggravating. It's like the IRS. If you don't think you have the right answer, keep calling back until you get the answer you want to hear.

Our company had a child support issue with one of our employees. I had to call 4 different state agencies and never did get the right answer. The withholding amount (2 different states, not the one he is working in) ended up being 80% of our plumber's pay. The one agency said you could withhold 100% of the salary. :eek: WHAT? Imagine a plumber working a hard 40 hours and on payday get zero. Do you really think he will show up for work on Monday? Eventually I found the answer online. It was 50% or 55% if back support was owed.

I hate red tape!

·
Registered
8 Posts
SC is very backwards!

Not like that here. We have a SC State License, one from MASC (Municipal Assoc. of SC), and several more for different counties and cities. When you go to apply, they tell you "You don't need a license to do that." Then you do a job and they ask "where is your license?"

Aggravating. It's like the IRS. If you don't think you have the right answer, keep calling back until you get the answer you want to hear.

Our company had a child support issue with one of our employees. I had to call 4 different state agencies and never did get the right answer. The withholding amount (2 different states, not the one he is working in) ended up being 80% of our plumber's pay. The one agency said you could withhold 100% of the salary. :eek: WHAT? Imagine a plumber working a hard 40 hours and on payday get zero. Do you really think he will show up for work on Monday? Eventually I found the answer online. It was 50% or 55% if back support was owed.

I hate red tape!
What county are you in? Up here in Greenville county we just have to the SC residential plumbers license, of course in the cities I have to give them the Master Plumbers from the MASC, but never anything else.

·
Banned
383 Posts

I hate red tape!
hey plumbcrazy you'd love it here in south dakota. the state inspects everything, but the little town i live in also wants a permit, which is the same price as the states. and the city does nothing for the price of the permit. and all permits for the city expire 12/31. the states are good for 2 years. i got here 8 months ago and rehabbed the house i bought. i completly gutted the main floor, and replaced the entire loadbearing wall and installed a lam beam. i got the permit, had an engineer friend size the beam and when i called for a framing inspection the inspector says," well i dont know that much about framing and im not certified so go ahead and close it up. why the hell did i buy a permit then.:furious: gotta love the bs red tape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts