Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see this term thrown around a lot on here and other places. What does it mean? What makes a professional plumber a professional plumber?

Technical ability?

Sales ability?

People skills?

Clean cut?

All of the above and a lot more?

None of the above?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Technical abilities and knowledgeable.

All others have no bearing on the Name "Professional Plumber" IMO

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Professional is a person in a profession that requires certain types of skilled work requiring formal training or education. In western nations, such as the United States, the term commonly describes highly educated, mostly salaried workers, who enjoy considerable work autonomy, economic security, a comfortable salary, and are commonly engaged in creative and intellectually challanging work

Plumber is a tradesperson who specializes in installing and maintaining systems used for potable (drinking) water, sewage, drainage, or industrial process plant piping.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Do you think every person working in the trade should be able to do that?

Technical Proficiency is a rather vague description.
I see your point KTS. I can drive any piece of machinery on the job. But other areas have operators for that. We dont, so down here operating equipment fits into the technical side of being a plumber but its only a demand for this area...

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you think every person working in the trade should be able to do that?

Technical Proficiency is a rather vague description.
I think you are unnecessarily nitpicking here. Whatever. I don't get your point. I do get that it is a bit vague. So what?

Besides, that was your term, not mine.

So what makes a professional plumber a professional in your mind?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
So what makes a professional plumber a professional in your mind?
The ability to learn how to install something before attempting to install it, instead of figuring it out along the way.

If you can't do it right the first time, every time, you're not a pro, you're a wannbe.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The ability to learn how to install something before attempting to install it, instead of figuring it out along the way.

If you can't do it right the first time, every time, you're not a pro, you're a wannbe.
Thanks.

BTW, sorry for the 'tude earlier. Was stressed out about something offline and it showed up in my post.

Back to the subject, we must not have been interpreting words the same way because when I read this post my first thought was "well, that's a good way of explaining what I meant by technical ability."

·
Banned
913 Posts
Simple definition of Professional Plumber from yesteryear - one who has the knowledge and ability to plumb correctly and proficiently. One who has mastered the skills necessary to be paid for them. Yesterdays plumber was considered a tradesman, not a PROFESSIONAL!

More appropriate today - Professional Service Plumber - one who has all of the above and carries him or herself in a professional manner. Define Professional - see Ron's definition. Todays Professional better have more than skill if he/she is to succeed. If I am paying $100.00 + per hour for someone to come to my home, I expect at the very least:

1. Clean appearance - not opening my door and letting someone into my home that looks like they got out on work release. Yes, this means uniforms with belts.
2. Speaks intellegently and looks me in the eye - gruff, mealy mouthed people don't get my respect.
3. Ability to explain problems & solutions in terms I can understand.
4. Respect - respect for my intelligence. Don't ask to explain it to my husband when I am the one with the damn checkbook.
5. Service - I want someone looking out for me. Someone I can trust to give it to me straight.

Plumbing may be plumbing, but to call yourself a Professional I think you need to ask those hiring a Professional plumber what they expect.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Simple definition of Professional Plumber from yesteryear - one who has the knowledge and ability to plumb correctly and proficiently. One who has mastered the skills necessary to be paid for them. Yesterdays plumber was considered a tradesman, not a PROFESSIONAL!

More appropriate today - Professional Service Plumber - one who has all of the above and carries him or herself in a professional manner. Define Professional - see Ron's definition. Todays Professional better have more than skill if he/she is to succeed. If I am paying $100.00 + per hour for someone to come to my home, I expect at the very least:

1. Clean appearance - not opening my door and letting someone into my home that looks like they got out on work release. Yes, this means uniforms with belts.
2. Speaks intellegently and looks me in the eye - gruff, mealy mouthed people don't get my respect.
3. Ability to explain problems & solutions in terms I can understand.
4. Respect - respect for my intelligence. Don't ask to explain it to my husband when I am the one with the damn checkbook.
5. Service - I want someone looking out for me. Someone I can trust to give it to me straight.

Plumbing may be plumbing, but to call yourself a Professional I think you need to ask those hiring a Professional plumber what they expect.
WOW!!!! Very well said, imo.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
843 Posts
When I was a wee lad, my father told me that plumbing, as well as doctors and lawyers, was a profession. Everything else, he said, was either considered to be trade or a job.

These days, everybody is a professional and I'd frankly be ashamed to be no more of a professional than most of them. It's hard to think of a pool cleaner or an exterminator as a professional.

From professional real estate salespeople to professional bronc riders, it seems like bad days for those who really do practice a profession. Or, put another way, it's hard to soar with the eagles when we're stuck down here with the turkeys.

I'm glad that some people take their work seriously and become very good at it. I suppose I shouldn't be so anxious about holding onto a term in such a technical world. Maybe we need a new word.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts