Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, what are your Pro Tips for using an inspection camera?

Not brand specific, but how you deal with things like stuck heads, getting around difficult bends without kinking the rod, maintenance, getting past obstructions, pushing long distances, and any other advice you might have for newbies.

If it's ok with management, I'll run a contest and after a few weeks I'll draw the name of a contributor, and the winner gets a $100 Amazon Gift card and a stylish Hathorn ball cap. ;-)

Does that work?

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
405 Posts
I'll cut a slit in a length of pex tubing and slide it over the rod to attempt to free a stuck head. Otherwise it's locate and excavate.

10 mil tape wrapped around the head can help it get past a difficult bend. Other times I'll tape it to a small jetter hose and drag it through a long or twisting run.

Probably my best pro tip is go slow in cast, and if you have the slightest doubt that it'll make past that bend or hole, don't even try.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll cut a slit in a length of pex tubing and slide it over the rod to attempt to free a stuck head. Otherwise it's locate and excavate.

10 mil tape wrapped around the head can help it get past a difficult bend. Other times I'll tape it to a small jetter hose and drag it through a long or twisting run.

Probably my best pro tip is go slow in cast, and if you have the slightest doubt that it'll make past that bend or hole, don't even try.
For sure, and the slower you go the less likely you are to kink the rod!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The tape is great idea. I've heard of guys tying a string to the head so they can turn it in the direction they want to go.

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
405 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Don’t try to put your camera through a p-trap. It either will kink the rod going in or it will get stuck on the way out. You need to install a clean out of you want to do that.

I also find the shotgun shell type signal generator on the end of some kind of rodder or even sewer rods to be helpful for locating.

Water flow in the pipe helps. I do this a lot especially when I have a client around so that they can see bellies and pooling, also broken joints.

Go slow. And if you force it, you will break it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts