Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at Robert's pics on a tankless install . VERY NICE !!

Am interested in the Pro Press method but am concerned about a few things :

1- expense of fittings

2- How do they work in the inevitable TIGHT SPACES ?

3- Initial costs for equip ?

Thanks !!

Cal

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got a pro press a few months ago for about $2,400 1/2"-2". It has come in handy in commercial for cutting in valves and capping lines. The cost of the fittings is offset in the labor cost. I personally would not do a lot of piping with it. I like the look and quality of soldering Tight places can be a b**th too.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice ,,, Thanks !

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
There nice if you have to fix a leaking 2" water main in a motel and you can't seem to get the line free and clear of water on the 1st floor, and have little time to get it fixed. Did one the other day, 2 x 1 tee leaking, sweated the tee onto new pipe and then used 2 propress couplings 1 slip and one with stop to make the finale tie in.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
There nice if you have to fix a leaking 2" water main in a motel and you can't seem to get the line free and clear of water on the 1st floor, and have little time to get it fixed. Did one the other day, 2 x 1 tee leaking, sweated the tee onto new pipe and then used 2 propress couplings 1 slip and one with stop to make the finale tie in.

Damn....I see I have lost another friend to the dark side.:cry:

I have been thinking about it too....as if I need another thing to research about. I have a list a mile long of topics and parts I need to study on from computer parts to electrical fiber optics systems to maybe even now...ProPress......sigh....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Good advice ,,, Thanks !
I looked at a couple of the systems about six months ago. I liked the Rothenberger tool I think it was priced less than Ridgid as well. It was smaller in size and looked a little more tight space friendly. I also liked the ridgid cordless and have used it as well. It is very user friendly. I really appreciated the system on freeze and repairs.

I actually choose not to buy. I have been able to rent one from a Ferguson the last 2 times I needed it. I think it was roughly $25.00 a day, it worked out well.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I would only go with Ridgid, and get the 330B cordless, lithiom Ion, 1/2 to 2"

No one makes a press tool like ridgid, it is perfect. I only use Viega fittings also.

I still sweat pipe, but on specialty jobs or where the water won't stop running, or I don't have time for a drain down, ProPress, not only that, the fittings are type K, great for recirc lines.

Buy the best, spend the extra money, stay with ridgid

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robert ,,, What about the fitting costs ??

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Robert ,,, What about the fitting costs ??
A good rule of thumb on fitting cost is 4x more than sweat.

I have boxes and boxes of PP fittings at the shop as well as 4 battery powered guns. Now, Architects are not allowing PP at alarming rates in these parts. Last 3 big ones I've got. No PP. My gut tells me PP will be used in repairs. Not in large scale new construction.

We have used it since 2002. For about 5 years there it was about all we used. Didn't hardly use it at all in 2008.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
A good rule of thumb on fitting cost is 4x more than sweat.

I have boxes and boxes of PP fittings at the shop as well as 4 battery powered guns. Now, Architects are not allowing PP at alarming rates in these parts. Last 3 big ones I've got. No PP. My gut tells me PP will be used in repairs. Not in large scale new construction.

We have used it since 2002. For about 5 years there it was about all we used. Didn't hardly use it at all in 2008.

Murray company here is doing alot of propress, they just finished a 18 story high rise condo project and are working on alot of other projects, they have like 60 guns in use.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
If the fittings are that expensive, why not just use a sharkbite and save the $2k you would have spent on the tool?
Because it goes against every fibre of my being to use sharkbites.

Labor saved is still MUCH cheaper to use PP rather than solder. Figure it takes 30 minutes to solder a 4x4x3 tee with heating,soldering, and cleaning. With PP it takes about 2 minutes tops. Multiply that by say 100.

Now ya got 50 hours soldering and 3 hours 20 minutes PP. 2 guys working together most of the time. So soldering costs you $5000 and PP costs you $366.

These figures are strictly pulled out of the air. I've never timed anyone soldering or PP'ing:laughing:.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
They don't make 2" Shark Bites, PP fitting don't move freely where as SB you can spin them around in circles once in place, PP are stationary, no movement at all.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I really don't see to much difference between a SB and a PP fitting. I don't understand how one could love PP and hate SB. They are cousins.

Dude, that is an insult. You need to study how each is joinded toghether,

I can't stand sharkbites, they go on with a push and lock with teeth, the propress is a mechanical fitting.

study up about each and you will see why they are totally different, those are just 2 things. Sharkbites also leak if you push them to the side

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
PP retains some look of craftsmanship.

Sharkbites are a little hackish in my mind IMO

When I install something. I like it to be somewhat permanent.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
PP retains some look of craftsmanship.

Sharkbites are a little hackish in my mind IMO

When I install something. I like it to be somewhat permanent.

Very very true, sharbites are homeowner crap. A homeowner or handyman isn't gonna spend 3500 on a tool like this.

Plus, propress is considered a mechanical fitting. Sweating pipe will never go away, but somethings are just easier and better propressed. I still do my fair share of sweating.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ALL good points lads !!
I thank you .
Course , now that I just do service ,, not spending too much time soldering .

IF go back to new work ( if it comes back around ) I will spend the $$ on Propress

Cal

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Update:

I did zero pro-press jobs this year. Nobody is specifying it. I don't know about the rest of the country, but it is waning in IL.

Architects and engineers are denying it EVERYWHERE.

It's only saving grace may be a future med gas approval.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts