Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm not a plumber, but a homeowner who does a fair amount of work on my own - except for more involved plumbing jobs. I can read manufacturer's installation instructions, though.

The plumbing estimator came out to look at installing a drop-in acrylic tub that I had purchased. He said that they would drop the tub into my frame, measure to locate for the drain and overfill locations, then pull the tub out to complete the drain/overfill, add the mortar bed, then drop the tub back in to complete the installation.

The plumbers that came out originally wanted to use a can of expanding insulating foam that they got at Home Depot, but said they would use mortar if I wanted that. I also wasn't crazy about getting that goop anywhere close to the acrylic finish. I know folks use the foam for this purpose, but an old plumber told me that mortar was the tried and true method, so I opted for that...

So, they proceeded to drop the tub in, located and installed the drain/overfill, but never pulled the tub out to add the mortar bed. Instead, he troweled the mortar into the space, then used a stick to push it into place under the tub. Might be wrong, but I also thought tubs were supposed to be weighted with water while the mortar cured.

Getting down to look at their work with a flashlight, it doesn't seem like the mortar bed is very compacted under the tub (looks like someone tried to pack it with a skinny stick), and while the feet of the tub are resting on the floor, about the last foot or so of the back of the tub's basin is unsupported.

In addition, there was supposed to be a bead of silicon on the frame to drop the lip of the tub into, per Kohler's instructions. Nope, didn't get that at all...

Overall to me, it just seemed like a lazy/shoddy job. I've called their office to speak to the supervisor about it, but I'd like to hear from you pros. Do I have basis for complaining, or is this typical?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
So, I'm not a plumber,.........................

This site is only for plumbers so you need to leave.

Also no one wants to read your wall of text.

Reactions: Tango

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’m going to suggest you call the plumbers that installed your tub and talk about it. That’s what matters. What we say online does not and this forum isn’t designed for homeowners to ask plumbing questions, but others are.

have a great night and be nice to your plumber.

·
Super Moderator
8,023 Posts
You are supposed to put quick crete down the drain! It amazes me how these guys cut corners!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
there is only one way to do this,pull that tub out,fill the bottom with hydraulic cement anywhere and everywhere and you will be a hero,ohhh dont forget the bead of liquid nail to set the flange into,not caulk will not hold as good as liquid nail

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
So, I'm not a plumber, but a homeowner who does a fair amount of work on my own - except for more involved plumbing jobs. I can read manufacturer's installation instructions, though.

The plumbing estimator came out to look at installing a drop-in acrylic tub that I had purchased. He said that they would drop the tub into my frame, measure to locate for the drain and overfill locations, then pull the tub out to complete the drain/overfill, add the mortar bed, then drop the tub back in to complete the installation.

The plumbers that came out originally wanted to use a can of expanding insulating foam that they got at Home Depot, but said they would use mortar if I wanted that. I also wasn't crazy about getting that goop anywhere close to the acrylic finish. I know folks use the foam for this purpose, but an old plumber told me that mortar was the tried and true method, so I opted for that...

So, they proceeded to drop the tub in, located and installed the drain/overfill, but never pulled the tub out to add the mortar bed. Instead, he troweled the mortar into the space, then used a stick to push it into place under the tub. Might be wrong, but I also thought tubs were supposed to be weighted with water while the mortar cured.

Getting down to look at their work with a flashlight, it doesn't seem like the mortar bed is very compacted under the tub (looks like someone tried to pack it with a skinny stick), and while the feet of the tub are resting on the floor, about the last foot or so of the back of the tub's basin is unsupported.

In addition, there was supposed to be a bead of silicon on the frame to drop the lip of the tub into, per Kohler's instructions. Nope, didn't get that at all...

Overall to me, it just seemed like a lazy/shoddy job. I've called their office to speak to the supervisor about it, but I'd like to hear from you pros. Do I have basis for complaining, or is this typical?
sounds like your a cheap SOB thats just an annoyance to proffesional plumbers..you got what you paid for...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Once again the OP is long gone. Even the jokes are futile if they don't come back and read.
you never know, they may not log on but look to see whats said...but hey were having fun....it beats the finger paints....

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Tub cleanout cap. Alternatively, 1/4" cable kinking device.
Funny enough, the only plugged drains I’ll clear are tub & shower or vanity/basin drains. I use a 1/4” cable Ridgid hand tuned drum.. I rarely have problems clearing them or more rarely have the cable kink.
It’s super quick, easy $.
(I have a K-50 and 100’ of cable, but it lives in my garage, strictly for when I need it at home.)

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Funny enough, the only plugged drains I’ll clear are tub & shower or vanity/basin drains. I use a 1/4” cable Ridgid hand tuned drum..........
Take a roughly 7-1/2' piece of 1/4" cable and just chuck it in a drill.

That will almost always reach the 3" or 4" pipe that the tub or sink tie into. I keep a couple short pieces of 1/4" in the van. I haven't used a 1/4" drum of any kind in almost two years.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Take a roughly 7-1/2' piece of 1/4" cable and just chuck it in a drill.

That will almost always reach the 3" or 4" pipe that the tub or sink tie into. I keep a couple short pieces of 1/4" in the van. I haven't used a 1/4" drum of any kind in almost two years.
I’ve done that, from time to time, and it does works, but 7’-8’ section of cable in a drill- flopping around in a $1M +++ home’s BR, doesn’t go all that well when the client sees crud and dirty cables flying about with a possibility of tub/tile/wall/etc damage due to a run-a-way cable.

I’m happier using a “self-feeding hand snake” to do a quick, clean, easy job with out the stress.
(But to each their own, this is my Business, I take all the liability & responsibility, in the end..)

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
............ doesn’t go all that well when the client sees crud and dirty cables flying about with a possibility of tub/tile/wall/etc damage due to a run-a-way cable.
I guess I just have more experience wrangling snakes ;)

I don't make a mess. Start with a clean, dry, cable. Run it all the way in, let it spin for a minute. Then as you pull it out only slowly spin it to get it back past the fittings and wipe it as you pull it out.

I do have several lengths and having it be too long is an easy way to make a mess. And yes, I have had once or twice the cable wrap around the drill, but that's rare.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts

I don't make a mess. Start with a clean, dry, cable. Run it all the way in, let it spin for a minute. Then as you pull it out only slowly spin it to get it back past the fittings and wipe it as you pull it out.

I do have several lengths and having it be too long is an easy way to make a mess. And yes, I have had once or twice the cable wrap around the drill, but that's rare.
hahah maybe.. we each have our own style as long as we’re all making fat coin “plumbing” we’re all winning!

I dug up and snaked enough drains as an apprentice, and I did learned a lot, but as a Master, I mostly concentrate on
Mid-to high-end service calls, new installs, repairs, problem solving, Rough-ins, and keeping a few guys busy.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts

you make more references to handling snakes well than anyone else here.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts