Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone direct me to a private laboratory water testing site. I am looking into a water filter for my house and I don't want to send it to Cuno because they will recommend thousands of dollars of upgrades. Which I cant float right now with my baby on the way...

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Can anyone direct me to a private laboratory water testing site. I am looking into a water filter for my house and I don't want to send it to Cuno because they will recommend thousands of dollars of upgrades. Which I cant float right now with my baby on the way...
Culligan.

They will try to sell you a system, but they do offer free analysis of your water, with no commitment to purchase their product. You can also check in your area for independant water treatment companies, they sell the systems reasonably in order to sell service contracts to maintain them, but most will also sell replacement parts if you choose to refuse the maintenance contract.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The city will test water but I am not sure if they will test mine cause I am outside city limits. I will try Culligan, I just want it tested to see, I know for a fact that they are using high amounts of chlorine. I can smell it when the toilet fills. I'm not sold on a whole house filter because of the headache it will be to install on an existing house.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here ( San Diego ) the water department publishes their water quality lab report to all consumers. They do tests at numerous distribution points around the city, and publish all the statistics.

It would be surprising if your city was overchlorinating, since that costs money, but in any event, they should tell you exactly what you have.

I do not personally recommend whole-house dechlorination filtering, because now you have the potential for "things" to "grow" inside your house piping. If chorine is an issue, you could do a drinking water filter system, and even a shower head chorine filter. This is what I do in my house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts