Hydromatic 3-5% Pumps & Accessories 01/03/11

Wilkins 4-7% Watter Regulation 01/03/11

Wilkins 4-15% General Price Increase 01/03/11

Sloan Valve Co. 10% General Price Increase 02/01/11

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,326 Posts
adapt to the changeing times

My problem is, prices in material are going up, while quality and customer service are sharply going down. This is becoming more than a trend. And that worries me.

We are a service industry...and must adapt to the changeing times or simply go and die off like the auto industries.... but you wont get that big bail out.....

you simply have to pass on the increases to the customer, in one way or another,,, if you cant pass them on , then you have to find a better class of customer...:yes:

I think that you must try to focus on finding more of the upper end customers 350k homes and up,..... instead of working in trailer parks, and other.... low end ....no-win dead end situations.....:yes:

that is exactly what the angies list salesman are trying to tell me right now.........they want me to advertise with them because they claim that their clinets are in the 250k++ a year income.....

the idea seems sound , but I just dont care for Angies list and paying them for the right to service their customer base...

I have a freind that advertises on Angies list site and does only water softeners in this area and
claims that they work great for him...

its a ......pay to play game...

either prospect for higher end customers,
or hang your name with little tear off tags in the grocery stores and hope for the best....:laughing:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I remember when 40 gal elec. W/H's were $ 114.00. That was around the year 2000. Now they've doubled. You gotta roll with the punches.
I think we got $185 for a FGR40 in around 2000.

One thing that bothers me is these price increases probably aren't equally distributed. Ferguson may pay 7% more on Wilkins and Zurn products and pass it on by raising my prices on those same products 8% across the board. I will bet you that HD and Lowes aren't seeing that same 7% price raise.

Paul

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just a reflection of inflation in correlation to the consumer pricing index.

You are supposed to increase your prices (i.e. labor rates) annually 3%-5% to have the same buying power per dollar as the year before. In short, this increase does NOT make you more money. It only keeps you even. And that's if you do it annually.

You can increase your labor say...2% and then attempt to decrease costs 2% also if necessary to stay "even" & competitive.

Careful though. Better to go up.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Of course you pass it on to the consumer. If we absorbed the cost every time something went up in price we'd be out of business.;)
I was just saying who cares if prices go up, they go up for everybody. I don't absorb a cost increase on my end and still mark up materials. :yes:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This might be a whole other subject completely, but has anyone guessed the value of a product once purchased, uninstalled in your posession?

It's pretty darn low until it is installed.

This is why I've changed my spending habits completely when it comes to buying more than what I need. Instead of a case, I buy 3-6.

·
Registered
244 Posts
yes but dont forget if u get in a pinch ...... all the big box stores buy in bulk and @ a set price its a contact for 1yr so i've heard on alot of pipe stuff. so if prices do go up and u've quoted that might help.. i know i know i dont like to support em i like supporting my supplier , but my suppliers cant compete sometimes $200 difference on a HWT apples and apples .....

·
I Like Tater Tots
Plumber since 1979. 42 years and still rollin'
1,228 Posts
What is an HWT :blink:

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
http://plasticsnews.com/headlines2.html?id=18072

Some wholesalers advised of impending rate increases of 20%, same thing happened with pex fittings several months prior.

put a force majeure clause in your quote!

My proposals state that my price is good for 30 days. In fact it's standard in most if not all construction contracts that if a contractor's material costs go up, then he has no choice but to raise his price.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.