Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to replace my 3rd pressure reducing valve today.

Water district must of turned it up again.

What's nice is Watts sent me a whole case of innards for the N55's I use all the time and makes it very easy to rebuild one.

I rebuilt one today, 5 minutes tops and didn't have to cut the old one out.

This could be a huge work saver over the alternative that I've done for years.

Now if it is the bolt pattern type that holds them down with a gasket?

PASS

That'll be a little bit more work I'm sure but same design inside.

When watts sent me a whole case of those, I thought for sure it would be wasted product. I was wrong.

As long as the water district keeps hammering the pressure up...I got a job. :thumbsup:

·
Plumbing Contractor
742 Posts
We have to install those pressure reducing valves on the homes we do in Orlando due to county pressure being just under a 100. Inspectors screw a gauge on a hose bib to make sure we are between 60 and 70 at time of final. Also install RPZ's on the services and thermal expansion tanks. We also use the Watts N55.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
On new installs, are you guys installing gauges and thermal expansion?
I do tons of TXTs, as does Dunbar. I don't do gauges usually, unless its requested. Its not required here. The PRVS and TXTs are absolutely required. The city water service has upwards of 300+ psi in some parts of this mountain town. And all the newer city water meters have backflowpreventors installed.
People don't usually care until their water heater floods the house out the T&P and then they're happy to have everything brought up to code and have safe temperature, pressure and thermal expansion controls in their potable water system.:)

·
Registered
651 Posts
We have to install those pressure reducing valves on the homes we do in Orlando due to county pressure being just under a 100. Inspectors screw a gauge on a hose bib to make sure we are between 60 and 70 at time of final. Also install RPZ's on the services and thermal expansion tanks. We also use the Watts N55.
Did I read this correctly? Orlando requires RPZ as containment on a single family Residence?:eek:

·
Plumbing Contractor
742 Posts
Did I read this correctly? Orlando requires RPZ as containment on a single family Residence?:eek:
Yes. I work in 7 counties and 3 of them Orange(Orlando), Manatee(Bradenton), and Sarasota(Sarasota) counties require these on residential, of course they are always required on any commercial. Also seems most all counties south of the Skyway bridge require them on residential, just waiting for the day they are required north of the Skyway in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes. I work in 7 counties and 3 of them Orange(Orlando), Manatee(Bradenton), and Sarasota(Sarasota) counties require these on residential, of course they are always required on any commercial. Also seems most all counties south of the Skyway bridge require them on residential, just waiting for the day they are required north of the Skyway in my neck of the woods.
I have to listen to all whining :rolleyes: just to require a DCVA on commercial! Sorry, I'm probably getting off-topic as this thread is about PRVs.:blush:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
You sure about that bud. I just did a repipe in windermere and no RPZ was required. I also spent the majority of my plumbing carrier in orlando and never did I install an RPZ on a resi service unless they had a high risk device installed (water powered sump pump, chemical injectors on irrigation etc). Which inspector required this. I need to talk with him.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Tight work plumbworker. My only complaint is that tub of flux I see. How did you remove that oil soluable flux from the lines? Could mean leak for that building later on depending on your water chemistry.

·
Big Daddy
29 Posts
:whistling2:
Hey guys,
I am getting ready to install a 2" backflow preventer in a commercial space. I have only installed WATTS 009 series because an engineer specified them for the last project. I am new to backflow stuff. I only recently became backflow certified.
I was at Ferguson today and the counter guy told me a Wilkins was 1/2 the price of a Watts. It''s going to be a horizontal install. Is Wilkins a good backflow ?? I'm not loyal to any brand I just know Watts from being in plumbing. Any feedback would be appreciated....

P.S.- The engineer was so brilliant that he DID NOT SPECIFY A STRAINER on the Watts i just installed. I even callled him and he said it wasn't code..He seemed offended. The Watts Brochure for the 009 even shows one on the Backflow and says they strongly recommend a strainer before any backflow... But hey I'm just a dumb plumber....

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
If you are referring to the 975XL, It is a much better device than the 009.

As far as strainers go.

You need to let the designer know you are required to install a strainer. You will need a change order IN WRITING. You are responsible for code compliance, not the designer.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
If you are referring to the 975XL, It is a much better device than the 009.

As far as strainers go.

You need to let the designer know you are required to install a strainer. You will need a change order IN WRITING. You are responsible for code compliance, not the designer.
Does the city inspectors have a copy of the plans and specifications for all commercial work? Here they require a set and everythings pre- approved. Seems like the designer would be responsible for spec's and would have been caught on plan review by the inspection department. I understand the installer is ultimately responsible for compliance but I dont like that when you have "educated" people calling the shots in the design stage of the project.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Have to do that here TM. AND if we defer from the ISO's in any way shape or form, we must redraw that section, have it notarized, and turned back in to the head plumbing inspector for approval, before the inspection will pass. Did i mention how much i love america?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts