Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question for you - Do Pressure reducing valves (e.g. Watts 25-75 models, etc.) allow backflow due to thermal expansion from the HWT, back into the City supply?

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Not likely, but possible if the pressure downstream was to build in excess of the incoming pressure.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
A quick question for you - Do Pressure reducing valves (e.g. Watts 25-75 models, etc.) allow backflow due to thermal expansion from the HWT, back into the City supply?

N55's has a built-in thermal expansion bypass that's supposed to open at 135psi only if the main line pressure is lesser.

Most, if not all PRV's are backflow devices by default. If you install a PRV, it's automatic for an expansion tank or device in connection with dealing with thermal expansion. T&PRV does not count.

The 25AUB34 is one of the most reliable PRV's out there, but I use the N55's because they are shorter, and I get them with 3/4" sweat unions so installation and replacement is a cinch.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
we use wilkins prv's exclusively and i know the #70 has a bypass. i was told it opens at 150psi but i don't see how that would help if the t&p pops at the same pressure. they could be set to bypass at 135psi too, would make more sence. either way, they do have a bypass for thermal expansion.

paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts