Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a bid on the rough plumbing for a bathroom in a shop that needs a sewage ejector.

Have you guys installed these package systems? Do you need a grinder pump? do they clog up much. I know the worst thing is baby wiper, but with no wipes will a regular sewer ejector pump 1/2 hp handle regular crap and tp etc. Any suggestions on systems you have installed that work well? thanks again David

· I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
6,229 Posts
I use the liberties, the fiberglass tanks, pre assembled with a slide rail for the pump, how ever they are not cheap. A duplex system with 2hp grinder is around 6-8k depending on what size tank you need. I just had 2 of these systems dropped off at a job site. The liberty ominvore grinder pump is a beast. There are some promo vids on the YouTube where you can see it grind up shop rags, leather clothes, blue Jean materials in a clear tank. Only grinder pump I will sell as I know I won’t ever have warranty issues with it. Check ‘em out. Here’s what a single pump system looks like. But that is not a good price.

· Registered
Plumbing
2,331 Posts
I am doing a bid on the rough plumbing for a bathroom in a shop that needs a sewage ejector.

Have you guys installed these package systems? Do you need a grinder pump? do they clog up much. I know the worst thing is baby wiper, but with no wipes will a regular sewer ejector pump 1/2 hp handle regular crap and tp etc. Any suggestions on systems you have installed that work well? thanks again David
A sewage pump is not necessarily a grinder pump. A grinder pump is always a sewage pump.

You may just need a 2” solids sewage pump. Much cheaper.

You certainly do not want a grinder if it’s pumping to a septic system.

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use the liberties, the fiberglass tanks, pre assembled with a slide rail for the pump, how ever they are not cheap. A duplex system with 2hp grinder is around 6-8k depending on what size tank you need. I just had 2 of these systems dropped off at a job site. The liberty ominvore grinder pump is a beast. There are some promo vids on the YouTube where you can see it grind up shop rags, leather clothes, blue Jean materials in a clear tank. Only grinder pump I will sell as I know I won’t ever have warranty issues with it. Check ‘em out. Here’s what a single pump system looks like. But that is not a good price.

I have seen at plumbing trade shows grinder pumps grinding up clothing baby wipes rags etc. My question is what is the longevity of a grinder pump, I have heard they do not last as long as a regular sewage pump? It is a 220 unit so customer would need a dedicated 220 outlet instead of a 120 dedicated outlet.

· I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
6,229 Posts
I have seen at plumbing trade shows grinder pumps grinding up clothing baby wipes rags etc. My question is what is the longevity of a grinder pump, I have heard they do not last as long as a regular sewage pump? It is a 220 unit so customer would need a dedicated 220 outlet instead of a 120 dedicated outlet.
correct. It is on a 20amp double pole. But if you’re smart you’ll inform your electrician to run a 3 wire and put that 3rd leg on a seperate circuit for the alarm. I see a lot of dumb asses putting the alarm and the pump on the same circuit which pretty much renders it useless. But that’s more for a residential application. Commercial we use the combo control panels. Only one circuit to the control box but seperate breakers for the pump(s).

Terry is right, you don’t want a grinder going into a septic system. You’ll ruin the drain field. Risk with the sump pump though handling 2” solids. First tampon or baby wipe/rag to go in that tank and it’ll jam the pump.

· Registered
Plumbing
2,331 Posts
With the inlet already drilled on the prepackaged systems, what if your sewer invert is so low that the entire basin must be buried ? Do they make extensions ?

All of our systems are buried outside in the ground.

The spun reinforced fiberglass basins I use are 60” tall and they make extensions for it. 24” diameter on up to 48”.

So if your sewer invert is 3’ deep you set the main tank accordingly then install an extension on top to get you to ground level.

Or you can order whatever depth tank you want. Some are 10’ deep or more.

I like to size the basin according to expected use so the pump doesn’t work itself to death but doesn’t sit idle too long either. I want the off level to be at the top of the pump. If a pump sits idle too long with kitchen drainage coming to it, grease will build up on the pump and floats.

· Registered
Owner/Operator Service Plumber
506 Posts
With the inlet already drilled on the prepackaged systems, what if your sewer invert is so low that the entire basin must be buried ? Do they make extensions ?

All of our systems are buried outside in the ground.

The spun reinforced fiberglass basins I use are 60” tall and they make extensions for it. 24” diameter on up to 48”.

So if your sewer invert is 3’ deep you set the main tank accordingly then install an extension on top to get you to ground level.

Or you can order whatever depth tank you want. Some are 10’ deep or more.

I like to size the basin according to expected use so the pump doesn’t work itself to death but doesn’t sit idle too long either. I want the off level to be at the top of the pump. If a pump sits idle too long with kitchen drainage coming to it, grease will build up on the pump and floats.
usually ours are in basements if they're ejectors, sumps go in window wells, but I get what you're saying

I don't believe they make extensions, or at least they don't sell them in Utah. Sewer ejector and sump lids can't be recessed more than 3" from the ground here, or its against code

· philosopher and statesmen
8,875 Posts
Its cheaper to just buy a tall sewage pit with a side inlet for the drain and a Zoeller sewage pump with a separate wire
for the switch on it if this is only a bathroom going to a septic tank...

All you got to do is rough in the plumbing and line everything up correctly
and then dig a pit down to the depth that the drain pipe comes to...

I have had issues with this before where there was too much fall on the drain and
we had to bury the pit down some to line up the inlet with the drain and also with the pit
sitting a few inches too high above the concrete but both will work

Just Hire a couple of illegals coming across the border to dig the pit... its your patriotic duty

· I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
6,229 Posts
I like to buy all the parts and assemble pump systems custom to the application. I like to drill my own holes in the basin for the inlet and outlet and choose the location of the float rail.

I’ll dig a pic up.
The liberty fiberglass tanks, you have to drill your own inlet. Shows installed in sales pictures but it is not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts