Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate poly! Does anyone already have the verbage to use when working with old poly pipe? We would like to add one to our invoices and work orders. When working in condos, we suggest repipes to the individual owners, but the building itself is still poly. It is to the point that even touching a shut-off in a poly building could potentially disturb the very brittle, about to go any day poly.

BTW - did I mention I hate poly and plastic fittings?

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I won't touch it at all. I turn down all jobs that have it, especially the Quest garbage. We don't have much of it up here anyway.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Warning!
Due to the former class action litigation regarding polybutylene piping, fittings and the precarious nature of the product we will not be held responsible for any liabilities resulting from the connection to or handling thereof the existing piping.

Just a first draft--what do you think--

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have no problem with poly, but as already mentioned many times, my own house is plumbed in it and the water hereabouts doesn't hurt it. Plastic fittings and aluminum crimps are bad. The only plastic fittings in my house are the individual stops and I've yet to have one fail in any way.

However, I know when I get into a trailer with poly I'm going to be replacing failed crimps and plastic tees and 90s. Acetal was bad stuff. None of the houses I've plumbed with it, so far as I know, have ever had a failure. I almost wish I'd see a failure in a plumber-installed system. Those dog-eared crimps used in the trailer factories are good for a laugh because it's so obvious that the monkeys putting them on had no guidelines or factory training. And any crimp that fails because it got wet is pretty funny.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Stillaround - I like it a lot. May tweek it just a little.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warning!
Due to the former class action litigation regarding polybutylene piping, fittings and the precarious nature of the product we will not be held responsible for any liabilities resulting from the connection to or handling thereof the existing piping.

Just a first draft--what do you think--
I added the words 'and settlement' after litigation. We will be using it immediately. There is a lot of poly piping in mobiles and many condo buildings. The frequency of condos flooding appear to be increasing - almost always a poly fitting. If things keep up, we will have more Fire & Water Restoration Cos. than plumbers. :eek:

Doing a repipe this week and have a lead on another repipe. Two cracked fittings in the same house within three weeks of each other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts