Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 827 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm crazy about lavatory drains, haaate callbacks! so I put dope (Rectorseal T+2) on the top of the rubber cone washer, putty between the bottom of the washer and the friction washer, putty under the trim piece in the basin, dope on the threads at the trim piece and the tailpiece threads, and dope the beveled surface on all connections of the trap - tightening the middle nut first then the tailpiece connection then the wallpiece connection all hand tight first then a final +/- 1/8 turn with the channellocks.

Crazy, but I have almost zero leaks on drains. :blink:

·
Residential Plumber
165 Posts
Silicone anything you teflon, put a beed of silicon on waste and over flows silicone po plugs throw away that putty use silicone, just don't forget to wipe away the excess.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Threaderman, Bring along a bucket and a mop tomorrow you might have jinxed yourself.:whistling2:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Threaderman, Bring along a bucket and a mop tomorrow you might have jinxed yourself.:whistling2:
I've had leaks but can't remember when the last time was.Long,long time ago.I did dis-connect the sink area in a home today for a remodel and used 2 shark-bite caps on the copper stub-outs.I don't like using them,so you may be right.:cry:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Only a few places I use it, 2nd floor tubs, shower drains, or any other drain that is not visible, I want a good seal there so it will last the life of the house, I don't trust a putty seal.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
I've never used Shark-bite fittings. We do a lot of tool hook-ups in electronic plants and the cooling water piping, for connection to the tool, has "Fas-N-Tite" plastic fittings that work pretty well for low pressure systems like cooling water.

All those compression, push-loc or shark-bite fitting make me feel a little nervous. I'd prefer to solder, weld or screw on a fitting or cap, even if it's temporary.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Only a few places I use it, 2nd floor tubs, shower drains, or any other drain that is not visible, I want a good seal there so it will last the life of the house, I don't trust a putty seal.
I prefer putty for strainers and tub drains, etc.
I never had a problem with putty. Most leaks I have seen were from poor installation, wether they used silicone or putty. Both will leak if installed badly.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I prefer putty for strainers and tub drains, etc.
I never had a problem with putty. Most leaks I have seen were from poor installation, wether they used silicone or putty. Both will leak if installed badly.
We are trying to get Hercules to make their stainless putty that is safe for use on marble in five pound containers so that we can eliminate stocking wax rings.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I've never used Shark-bite fittings. We do a lot of tool hook-ups in electronic plants and the cooling water piping, for connection to the tool, has "Fas-N-Tite" plastic fittings that work pretty well for low pressure systems like cooling water.

All those compression, push-loc or shark-bite fitting make me feel a little nervous. I'd prefer to solder, weld or screw on a fitting or cap, even if it's temporary.
I went through a short phase where I was using them to save time. But they always made me nervous. I finally decided not to use them any more. I'd rather take my time and sleep well at night.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
We are trying to get Hercules to make their stainless putty that is safe for use on marble in five pound containers so that we can eliminate stocking wax rings.
That would be great. The biggest downside to putty is the staining. I'll never forget when some moron GC used putty on all the faucets on marble countertops for a spec house he was building....all through the house, every countertop was stained horribly. He called me out there to fix it, I told him it was too late! He was a real jackass.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 827 Posts