Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things I did not know, which I know know and not that I failed an inspection over it.

You can't use wood for supporting drains exposed, and pipes can not be on floor for health reasons, they have to be able the clean under the pipes them selfs.

Yea I don't know everything. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, commercial is a whole new ballpark especially in Food service places. One thing I learned years ago was that even a small plumbing job in a Beauty Shop requires a license. I did a sidejob for a friend and was required to show my license after a Health Inspector noticed a new piece of pipe installed.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind, in most states health code supersedes plumbing code, an installation might be fine plumbing code wise, but be wrong because it does not meet health code.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Very often overlooked here by both plumbers and inspectors.
PVC stacks need to be min 3" away from exterior walls, pneumatic nail guns ain't good for 'em.

There'll be alotta stuiff here thats only applicable to local codes.

·
Registered
843 Posts
It's too bad commercial sink makers don't put welded tabs on the bottom of the sinks to support the pipe from. Many of the chemicals eat away at the SJ connections and the drains start falling off. Tough on plumber's putty, too.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Ron, don't feel bad. When I am called to do a commercial job I make sure I have plenty of asprin with me!

Especially when the plans call for:
Standard hot water
Scalding hot water
Scalding hot water returns (Loop)
Standard cold water
filtered cold water

ouch, head hurts again, need asprin!

·
Master Plumber
76 Posts
Here any exposed pipe has to be far enough off the wall so that you can get your hand and a rag behind it to clean.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Ron, don't feel bad. When I am called to do a commercial job I make sure I have plenty of asprin with me!

Especially when the plans call for:
Standard hot water
Scalding hot water
Scalding hot water returns (Loop)
Standard cold water
filtered cold water

ouch, head hurts again, need asprin!
Where the heck is the tempered hot for the handsinks at every server station?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Incredible how the codes vary.I must say though I am so pleased with the IPC 06' venting changes,and the anti-scald requirements.It's a lovely thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts