Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I've been doing this almost 40 years and still find stuff that amazes me. My son and I started a big bathroom remodel yesterday, a 20 year old,full log home. White pine 20 inches in diameter and then some.
The second floor bath waste piping had expansion fittings and the copper lines were coiled in the wall,huh. Everything was made to move with the logs. Nothing was fit tight,trim for doors,windows etc. covered 1 1/2" gaps that allowed for the shrinking of the logs.
They dont teach you that in plumbing school;)

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Thanks for the snarky remark.
I didn't know that there was a quota.
I make up with length what I lack in frequency.
I learned as a child that one shouldn't say anything if you can't say something constructive.

Better to keep your mouth shut and let them wonder if you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the input guys. My view is that service is different than new construction, absolutely. I went through 6 years of union school and there is not an iota of meaningful service taught. I feel the best service education can be had studying that other plumbing message board, which I have spent many probably hundreds of hours studying, and plan on continuing to do so. I feel that is by far the best use of your time if you want to get educated on service plumbing.
I got my start in plumbing 1.5 years before joining the union apprentice program and that consisted of riding around with a 2 different self employed service plumbers, where I was not expected to be on my own. 3 other service companies where they wanted me on my own but I felt like I didn't have the necessary knowledge, so it was always very stressful. Really the stress came from having to lie to the customer telling them I have all this experience when really I had just started pluming, and also the stress of charging them 255 for the first hour, even when you don't' fix their issue.
The problem with working service for a company is they just look at you as some object to get as much money out of the customer as possible. They expect lying to the customer or whatever it takes to get that bottom dollar.
The conclusion I came to was the reality is I can fix 97 percent of issues. I have done tons of jobs for friends. I have solved every problem they ever had. If I can't do a certain job I will simply tell the customer. It really doesn't seem like a big deal. I have many months learning about the small business related issues and I continue to do so.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts