Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
some girl I was seeing along time ago had reflux issues and after some exrays because of an auto accident they found her stomach was out of place and was causing issues, so they had to move it back down into the normal spot and tie it off so it didnt move again...
Hiatal hernia of the LES. That’s what I had. Before surgery if you bend over to tie your boot, what was in your stomach is now in your mouth. Not fun before or after surgery.

·
Super Moderator
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
early in life knee pads were for pu$$ies :vs_OMG:so of course nails and small pebbles embedded in your knees was the manly thing to do :surprise: ..then common sense took over but far too late and protecting your knees after they started to hurt :crying: was now the right thing todo...
I have several pair of gel knee pads, one set has a solid thick velcro elastic band that goes behind my knee so I dont get that uncomfortable pinch...
now they are the first thing I grab if I have to work on my knees at all...
I can see where a kneeling board would be better than knee pads and cases where knee pads make much more sense than balancing a kneeling board on any kind of framing or non flat surface you have to work on...

buy both and use them whenever you can....

did a quick search on amazon and found these that go directly on your leg under your pants, almost like a knee brace with a big front padded area..
https://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Sorb...&keywords=gel+knee+pads&qid=1580482324&sr=8-7
Sent my Master the link. I might even buy a pair.

I’m with Tango about the knee pads! I can’t tell you how many I’ve tried.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
A knee board is way more comfortable. This one looks like what I have.

Agree

I have several pair of gel knee pads, one set has a solid thick velcro elastic band that goes behind my knee so I dont get that uncomfortable pinch...
now they are the first thing I grab if I have to work on my knees at all...
I can see where a kneeling board would be better than knee pads and cases where knee pads make much more sense than balancing a kneeling board on any kind of framing or non flat surface you have to work on...

buy both and use them whenever you can....

Exactly, get both. Usually I use a big pad but I always use the strapons in crawlspaces.

Knee boards are a joke...
So why dont you just go to Harbor freight and buy yourself 3 or 4 pairs of knee pads you strap on and wear all day long???? They only cost about 4 bucks a pair......

I wear them all day long and they make me like superman just banging around in gravel or whatever lies before me on the job

A pad is much more comfortable if you're just kneeling in front of a sink or toilet for a while. Also keeps your knees AND shins from getting wet. I use scrap foam pads from packaging we get. Couple years back they threw out some 30"x36"x2" closed cell foam pads, like the foam pipe insulation material. I put them on the floor of my camo van and the back of my work van. So much nicer to kneel on when you climb in the van to buckle the kids or get parts.

For knee pads I have a nice set of felt and leather knee pads from clc. They atre really durable and for the 28$ have outlasted any other kneepads I have had. The one strap is much more comfortable and you don't get the pinch. I have kneeled on nails sticking through boards and they didn't puncture!!

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathercraft-313-Leather-Kneepads/dp/B0006GTE1Y

Attachments

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
cleaning drains on your knees is stupid. My entire way to clean drains is sitting on a bucket. I think thats why I'm so fat but don't have any back or knee pain

theres alot more plumbing work than cleaning drains that require you to be on your knees for long period of times...
but I would think squatting would give you more balance and control if you were working with a drain machine, on my knees would be the last position for that type of work...

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Agree

For knee pads I have a nice set of felt and leather knee pads from clc. They atre really durable and for the 28$ have outlasted any other kneepads I have had. The one strap is much more comfortable and you don't get the pinch. I have kneeled on nails sticking through boards and they didn't puncture!!

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathercraft-313-Leather-Kneepads/dp/B0006GTE1Y

I looked up the reviews on those pads and many say only the strap is leather and the rest is a composite material that falls apart..besides leather soaks up all the yack piss water and will start to smell...
I like the gel knee pads with flexible plastic covers...you can clean them and the plastic prevents any punctures in your knees...

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
Sent my Master the link. I might even buy a pair.

I’m with Tango about the knee pads! I can’t tell you how many I’ve tried.
I Ordered mine on Friday, Jan 31st, to be delivered Sunday Feb. 2nd
In 1992 I tore out my ACL in my left knee, had the repair surgery in May,
then in early 1993 I was stretching my left leg and tore it a second time
and had to have the surgery a second time, :crying:
Then 2003 the cartridge was gone in my left knee, The Doctor said because
of the time that I spent walking on it waiting for the surgery, it caused
the cartridge to wear out ! :crying:
then in 2007 finally got the V.A. to pay for my left knee total replacement
at the University of UTAH, orthopedic clinic, :smile:
I moved to Houston, TX. and on Dec 31st 2015
on my way to work I steeped off the curb wrong and tore out my Quadriceps tendon in my right knee
so I have had that repaired, but it is still not as strong as it was before,
So I am looking forward to these knee supports to see if it helps :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I looked up the reviews on those pads and many say only the strap is leather and the rest is a composite material that falls apart..besides leather soaks up all the yack piss water and will start to smell...
I like the gel knee pads with flexible plastic covers...you can clean them and the plastic prevents any punctures in your knees...

All I can tell you is that mine are very durable and as someone who works with leather I can assure they are real leather, not a composite. I don't have any issue with them soaking up anything but I usually use them on dirt and concrete not really wet surfaces.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
on my way to work I steeped off the curb wrong and tore out my Quadriceps tendon in my right knee

your looking for a knee brace..completely different from knee pads....
I have several knee braces I still wear when my knee gives me a reminder to slow down..

they are velcro wrap arounds with stiffeners on the sides for support, they make a big difference and you can feel the support they give and usually a few days of wearing the brace my knee is pain free...
you just have to find one thats comfy for your leg...
definitely get one and try it, it makes a big difference...and they are cheap around 20 bucks give or take..just take a look on amazon they have a ton of different ones to choose from..

·
Super Moderator
8,062 Posts
I still have my knee braces, the one on the left was custom built 1500$.

The one on the right was bought at a pharmacy for 110$ or so and that's what I wore for years.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
That sounds so wrong!!!!!! Poor helper who helps you out in a crawlspace:vs_OMG::vs_OMG: :vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

Yeah, if they ever gave me a helper. I get a helper maybe 15-20 days out of the year and usually it isn't all day.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts