Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to taking my technicians to a base hourly pay and then a % commission of the job. I need to get them hungry and vested in the growth of the company. Anyone out there with suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i suggest you do an intro in the introduction section so everyone here knows who you are, where you are and what code you follow. then you may get some good advice.

paul

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Thanks for posting on PlumbingZone.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

PlumbingZone.com is designed for professional plumbers to discuss issues and topics related to their profession. Many of our plumbers are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I am looking to taking my technicians to a base hourly pay and then a % commission of the job. I need to get them hungry and vested in the growth of the company. Anyone out there with suggestions?

Thanks
Thats the worst Idea ever, Get them Hungry?

How about get them involved, create a team, build a brand, not ....reduce to base pay that's just stupid

Reduce to base pay ,......ha !!! yea, that will work, and then they will become like the 200 of us on this board that just quit or started our own companies,

What you need to do is get MORE personal, NOT less.......But hell what do I know, I used to be an employee working for guys like you for 17 years,

PS feel free to call me anytime, I will tell you why this wont as well,

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Reduce to base pay ,......ha !!! yea, that will work, and then they will become like the 200 of us on this board that just quit or started our own companies...

ha! that's exactly what i'm doing. as of this friday there will be one more of us that did this very thing. the company i worked for was locally owned and i was paid strictly commision. if it weren't for mismanagement and lack of involvement by the owner, nothing would have changed. the company made $$$$ and i made $$$$. the business was sold and we changed to a flat rate company and i now get paid a base hourly wage plus a miniscule commision on sales over and above my quota. i work more and make less. the company pockets way more this way than they did the old way. i learned my lesson, as of 01/09/09 i'm gone. good luck with your scheme, i mean plan.

paul

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Thanks for posting on PlumbingZone.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com
http://

Bill, I don't necessarily agree. The guy never led us to believe in his post he was anything but a plumber. While I don't agree with his theory on pay. I do think he was prolly a plumber. You may have more info than me though.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
ha! that's exactly what i'm doing. as of this friday there will be one more of us that did this very thing. the company i worked for was locally owned and i was paid strictly commision. if it weren't for mismanagement and lack of involvement by the owner, nothing would have changed. the company made $$$$ and i made $$$$. the business was sold and we changed to a flat rate company and i now get paid a base hourly wage plus a miniscule commision on sales over and above my quota. i work more and make less. the company pockets way more this way than they did the old way. i learned my lesson, as of 01/09/09 i'm gone. good luck with your scheme, i mean plan.

paul
Wet Head Chants: "Go Paul , Go Paul , its your Birthday"

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yrs ago when computers were just getting easy to use our boss posted everyones overhead vs profit on board every week to get us competitive .We were on base rate, plus commission on PROFIT. It backfired most of us were young and as soon as we got our masters we went into business for ourselves.The smart ones then hired good guys to work for them paid them good but did not let everyone see others records .Others drifted around ,some saved invested and are taking it easy now.I try to take it easy but cant hang up my tools.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Bill, I don't necessarily agree. The guy never led us to believe in his post he was anything but a plumber. While I don't agree with his theory on pay. I do think he was prolly a plumber. You may have more info than me though.
IL, his profile said he was a carpenter at first. He soon after went and changed it. I got to see it before the change took place

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
OK. I understand. Thanks for taking the time to educate:thumbsup:

·
Banned
913 Posts
Using money to motivate is a big misconception! Like ******* said, build a team, get more personal etc. I'm not saying that money does not motivate, but you need to look at the individual & figure out his/her motivation.

In my twentys, praise of my work from those in upper management went a long way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm with you.

I've been paying my guys an hourly wage and they take as long as they can to do the easiest things. I worked for a company that paid 22.5 % of the labor on the job. If the owner did not answer the door, I got nothing. I'm not sure how this works on payroll taxes but it is a great topic.

·
Registered
590 Posts
OK, I will be the first on here to say we pay a base rate or performance rate basis, whichever is higher. This works great if you are flat rate.

The main drawback is that the paycheck is not consistent. We have been paying this way for about 5 years and have had some people leave some over pay some not. Some weeks, one might take home $2,000.00 and someone else $400.00 and this would be for 40 hour week.

We have not laid off any plumbers during the current economic downturn as some of the other companies that pay hourly have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts