Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
What happened to doing what you do best and delegating what you're not good at? If SEO isn't your field, what's wrong with hiring someone to do it for you? Isn't that your job as an owner, find a book keeper, CPA, office manager, dispatcher, CSR, plumbers, field managers, etc. With the ever changing rules of Google, I think it's in my best interest to hire a professional in this field.

Reactions: Plumber

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
What happened to doing what you do best and delegating what you're not good at? If SEO isn't your field, what's wrong with hiring someone to do it for you? Isn't that your job as an owner, find a book keeper, CPA, office manager, dispatcher, CSR, plumbers, field managers, etc. With the ever changing rules of Google, I think it's in my best interest to hire a professional in this field.
First you should be aware of the difference between SEO & SEM...

Pay per click advertising is SEM...

The problem with hiring someone for SEM, is that it would be a lot like one of your customers paying $800 for you to put in a flapper, fill valve, and supply line, on their toilet and having it out of adjustment when you leave...:laughing:

As far as SEO, it is a multifaceted effort the involves many areas that you just can't buy and get it done right. SEO involves a website that uses a series of best practices and yea you should probably hire someone for this. But, it also involves blogging on your website, and social media efforts such as FaceBook, YouTube, Google +, Twitter, etc. All things best served by doing it yourself...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Redwood said:
First you should be aware of the difference between SEO & SEM... Pay per click advertising is SEM... The problem with hiring someone for SEM, is that it would be a lot like one of your customers paying $800 for you to put in a flapper, fill valve, and supply line, on their toilet and having it out of adjustment when you leave...:laughing: As far as SEO, it is a multifaceted effort the involves many areas that you just can't buy and get it done right. SEO involves a website that uses a series of best practices and yea you should probably hire someone for this. But, it also involves blogging on your website, and social media efforts such as FaceBook, YouTube, Google +, Twitter, etc. All things best served by doing it yourself...
I don't know about not being able to hire someone to do all this for you. I just hired this same company to do all of which you just described. And it ain't cheap. All the social media you listed, blogs, putting all the right things in my website, getting my google maps right. They also only work with one plumber in your territory. I couldn't possibly imagine trying to do all this myself and try to continue to do whatever it is I do.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I don't know about not being able to hire someone to do all this for you. I just hired this same company to do all of which you just described. And it ain't cheap. All the social media you listed, blogs, putting all the right things in my website, getting my google maps right. They also only work with one plumber in your territory. I couldn't possibly imagine trying to do all this myself and try to continue to do whatever it is I do.

Here is the problem with hiring it out. They must track their work.
This means tracking numbers that do not belong to you. Customers have a number to reach you as long as you employ the company. You leave the company then the customer hears :this number is no longer a working number.

If you put your number and web site in the company you hired will no longer manage what you have asked them to manage. It is all or nothing. Find local person to run it for you. You can drive over to their building to talk or see them on the weekend at the beach ,pool or whatever. Why would a company in New York care about you in Indiana

Reactions: plumberkc

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
You're right! By the time you have them do a spit & polished video production and upload it to YouTube you've blown a serious amount of cash on some SEO work with negligible results...

You are Waaaaaay over thinking this...
Trust me!

Does your cell phone shoot video?:whistling2:

Take a look at Dunbar Plumbing's YouTube Channel with over 1 million views...

I hope you still "Own" your Google Places for Business Listing...:eek:

And I wouldn't necessarily count on them to get it right.
I've seen radius used to define the service area where it extended past state lines and didn't cover his entire area in the state. I've also seen were they somehow defined a service area as a 20 mile wide rectangle straight west from Connecticut across Canada by the Great Lakes and all the way to Portland, Oregon....:laughing:

Here is the problem with hiring it out. They must track their work.
This means tracking numbers that do not belong to you. Customers have a number to reach you as long as you employ the company. You leave the company then the customer hears :this number is no longer a working number.

If you put your number and web site in the company you hired will no longer manage what you have asked them to manage.
Not necessarily they can use the click information right off of the Google Adwords dashboard. But they will be lacking with information about which clicks that went to your company website are actually converting into sales...

I've helped a couple of local companies refine their adwords campaigns...

One was a carpenter who had a crapload of clicks on the keyword "Windows."
The only problem was that the clicks were searches for MS Windows, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, & Windows 8...
Some work with his "Negative Keywords" brought that under control very quickly...

Another was a friend who I used to work with operating his own business and he couldn't understand why all the clicks he was getting for the keyword "Plumbing" weren't converting. The problem was that the clicks were coming from people that were searching for Plumbing Supply, Plumbing Schools, stc...
Once again Negative Keywords were needed...

There isn't anyone that can do it like you can do it!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You're right! By the time you have them do a spit & polished video production and upload it to YouTube you've blown a serious amount of cash on some SEO work with negligible results...

You are Waaaaaay over thinking this...
Trust me!

Does your cell phone shoot video?:whistling2:

Take a look at Dunbar Plumbing's YouTube Channel with over 1 million views...

I hope you still "Own" your Google Places for Business Listing...:eek:

And I wouldn't necessarily count on them to get it right.
I've seen radius used to define the service area where it extended past state lines and didn't cover his entire area in the state. I've also seen were they somehow defined a service area as a 20 mile wide rectangle straight west from Connecticut across Canada by the Great Lakes and all the way to Portland, Oregon....:laughing:

Not necessarily they can use the click information right off of the Google Adwords dashboard. But they will be lacking with information about which clicks that went to your company website are actually converting into sales...

I've helped a couple of local companies refine their adwords campaigns...

One was a carpenter who had a crapload of clicks on the keyword "Windows."
The only problem was that the clicks were searches for MS Windows, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, & Windows 8...
Some work with his "Negative Keywords" brought that under control very quickly...

Another was a friend who I used to work with operating his own business and he couldn't understand why all the clicks he was getting for the keyword "Plumbing" weren't converting. The problem was that the clicks were coming from people that were searching for Plumbing Supply, Plumbing Schools, stc...
Once again Negative Keywords were needed...

There isn't anyone that can do it like you can do it!
Wait, explain to me mr SEO guy how to do all that again. No thanks. I don't think I'm over thinking it. I know my limits.
YouTube videos linked to my website is already included in the price. I'm sure a lot of my customers can install their own faucets and toilets if they spent some time researching it... why hire a plumber... all them plumbers are crooks and charge too much you know... but I'm betting they'd rather hire me so they can stick to what they do best. I don't have time to manage all that. Listening to you one would think that there is no one out there who is going to get it right. I guess we'll see huh?

Reactions: plbgbiz

·
Banned
12 Posts
Hiring an individual for SEO may not be a good idea early in a business. When creating budgets for marketing it is better to be realistic than optimistic until you can afford to do so.

In today's world a online presence cannot be avoided. That being said the most effective way to build an online presence early on is using social media. The repeated use of Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter(among others) in alignment with your marketing efforts will help increase organic SEO by itself as well as legitimacy. An entire thread and possibly a video on social media may be needed to help demonstrate the importance.

If anyone wants to know more about the subject or tips on how to increase organic SEO through social media, feel free to send me a message or email.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's two pennies...

1. SEO - to do SEO right and get results, it's a full-time job mostly due to the need of having active, frequent and valuable content. However, that's traditional SEO. Local or Google Places SEO is a subset of SEO and can be achieved fairly easily so long as you know what you are doing and can integrate that campaign with your other marketing to drive reviews which is one of the biggest factors right now. That could change.

2. SEM - from my experience the times SEM does not work is when the vendor's goals are not in line with yours. For example, you want conversions (calls, web registrations, etc.) and they want to drive click volume up so you spend more since they earn a percentage off of that. That's why I charge a small flat fee so we both can focus on conversions. I really don't care how much you spend and since I go month to month I want to make sure the campaigns are giving you positive ROI. That's how you align goals for a winning campaign.

Like any profession, there are slime balls and weasels. Outsourcing is not an issue, selecting the wrong vendor is.

There's a reason pessimists who can't trust anyone and must do everything themselves have a really hard time growing their shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's a reason pessimists who can't trust anyone and must do everything themselves have a really hard time growing their shop.
Nail on the head...
I'm not that gungho for traditional SEO though. A) algorithm keeps changing and B) SEO companies rarely use best practices and instead take shortcuts to boost their own margins.

Lead generation though has been working great. If you can generate a pay-per-performance model with your SEO company, that would be the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Nail on the head...
I'm not that gungho for traditional SEO though. A) algorithm keeps changing and B) SEO companies rarely use best practices and instead take shortcuts to boost their own margins.

Lead generation though has been working great. If you can generate a pay-per-performance model with your SEO company, that would be the way to go IMO.
4 posted, non intro. Non intro=non plumber.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
fanningplumbers said:
Nail on the head... I'm not that gungho for traditional SEO though. A) algorithm keeps changing and B) SEO companies rarely use best practices and instead take shortcuts to boost their own margins. Lead generation though has been working great. If you can generate a pay-per-performance model with your SEO company, that would be the way to go IMO.
Non profit? What's up with the .org in the website?

·
Banned
2 Posts
Plumber Seo is a very simple tool that will help you to rank your site in search engines. It’s not SEO software, but it does have some SEO features. This application has been developed by Plumber Software and it works on Windows operating systems. This is an easy-to-use program for anyone who wants to improve their website ranking in search engines like Google or Yahoo! The main goal of this application is to make the user’s website more visible and easier to find by using keywords from different categories.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts