Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, Could you be fined for buying a refurbished high consumption toilet and installing it?

Could you be fined for installing a customer supplied antique toilet?

Could I be fined for not knowing the answer to these questions?:blink:

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Question, Could you be fined for buying a refurbished high consumption toilet and installing it?

Could you be fined for installing a customer supplied antique toilet?

Could I be fined for not knowing the answer to these questions?:blink:
It really depends on how far you let it go. You are under the IPC which states you are not allowed to install a water closet which consumes more than 1.6 gpf. If you were to do it anyways and get caught you could be issued a violation. If you received a violation and failed to correct the violation the inspector could turn you over to the City Attorneys office for prosecution. So I guess the real question is why would you put yourself through all of that?

Mark

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question came up today. Customer has two old style WC 's they bought from a local store that restores and sells old hardware, plumbing fitures, chandaliers,etc.. I've never really thought about it, but how can they legally sell them? I guess it's a grey area, like the stores here (smoke shops) that sell bongs, crack pipes and incense.

This pic is similar to the WC's she bought.

Attachments

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Question came up today. Customer has two old style WC 's they bought from a local store that restores and sells old hardware, plumbing fitures, chandaliers,etc.. I've never really thought about it, but how can they legally sell them? I guess it's a grey area, like the stores here (smoke shops) that sell bongs, crack pipes and incense.

This pic is similar to the WC's she bought.
They make great flower pots.

Mark

Attachments

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
Hmm, you may be able to make it "low-flow"
it has some height to it to make up for less water.
Add something to the inside of the tank to ensure it shuts off with less water stored.
plastic bottles filled with sand or water maybe?
Of course the trapway was designed for more water but if it works? Check with the inspector.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Selling them is a whole different story then installing them. They can just stick a "not for installation" sign on it to cover themselves. The same way you can go buy an AK47 parts kit. The kit is legal but in a couple hours you could assemble it into a machine gun which is illegal. The end use is what determines legality.
That said I like my 5gpf toilets. They're about 70 years old, a few rebuilds over the years and they're still going strong and look like brand new. They will out flush and out clean anything you buy today. And they look nicer.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Its like an "S" trap. Sure, it not legal for any of us to install them in new or remodel construction, but if its existing you can replace with the same.

But removing a toilet of that kind and replacing it with the same? Now thats an unknown to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts