Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "almost" used these tonight, just to try them and see how well they were. For a plumber like me that despises plastic products, I'll tell you why I bought them:

The supply house I deal with has been out of 5/16" johnni-bolts for weeks. Here's the pathetic comment I heard today that I could not believe my fellow plumbers would say,

"It's too hard to cut through the 5/16" bolts."

WTF?!?!?!

Is plumbing come down to this?

So he showed me the plastic ones, don't even need to cut them off, the caps were deep enough that you put them in and done.

I had to replace a toilet with a American Standard Cadet 4 tonight and I could NOT bring myself to use those bolts. The guys at the supply house praised them up and down and said they could barely cut them with a hacksaw...

but I said, "I don't care about now, I care about down the road" and that ended the conversation as fast as it started. Plastic of any type under any strain is going to be pliable to begin with, over time get brittle and snap.

I ended up using brass bolts, but using the long caps that I really like and most likely start using them instead of cutting the bolts. It just seemed disheartening to make a move like that and use something in that fashion knowing that just a few short years can cause problems for the customers.

I prefer to be in the category of using products that you can pitch in your backyard, wait 40 years and dig it up, polish and put back to use. Something that's becoming a dieing fade it seems in the profession, real world realities.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I can't even imagine using plastic closet bolts. :eek: The supply house here had stainless steel ones for a few weeks because the new guy ordered them. Talk about hard to cut with a tiny tim laying under the toilet! They got rid of them and went back to brass pretty quick.

Paul

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't even like plastic bolts for toilet seats! I only use solid brass 5/16" closet bolts followed by blue locktite on the nuts for my school toilets setting and re-setting.. Learned this trick lasts the longest.:thumbsup:

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I worked for a company that used plastic tee bolts with plastic flanges, and metal with metal. The plastic tee bolt will break before the plastic flange.
I wouldn't use either...
My PVC closet flanges have stainless steel rings and my bolts are 5/16 brass...:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
I don't even like plastic bolts for toilet seats! I only use solid brass 5/16" closet bolts followed by blue locktite on the nuts for my school toilets setting and re-setting.. Learned this trick lasts the longest.:thumbsup:
The Bemis 2155 open front no lid seat now has plastic nuts for the hinges. First one I put on I stripped them out. What a piece of junk.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Bemis 2155 open front no lid seat now has plastic nuts for the hinges. First one I put on I stripped them out. What a piece of junk.

that's why I carry a good assortment of nuts and bolts on my truck. I really don't like to use plastic if I don't HAVE to (and there aren't very many situations that you HAVE to use plastic.)

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I prefer to be in the category of using products that you can pitch in your backyard, wait 40 years and dig it up, polish and put back to use. Something that's becoming a dieing fade it seems in the profession, real world realities.
You can bury plastic closet bolts in your backyard and dig them up a hundred years later and they would be plastic closet bolts.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I like using setfast closet bolts. Soild brass, 5/16 and you never need to cut them. The only downside is the heads are too fat to fit in some CI flanges.
I still can't get these . Where do you get yours ?

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
I get them from the local plumbing supply. I would think you could find them online? After you use these a few times you won't wanna use anything else.

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
What's so special ??
Nothing other than you won't have to cut closet bolts again. If your one of those plumbers that doesn't like cutting them, or just likes saving a little time without compromising quality, I highly recomend them.

Reactions: Cal

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I had a couple guys wrecking out toilets on Monday that used plastic johnny bolts. They loved them. They just grabbed the toilets and yanked em up. Let's see ya do that with brass bolts.

You gotta think about ease of removal guys.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Closet bolts are a perfect example of a product that doesn't need to be improved on, in my mind. A solid brass closet bolt is about as good as it gets and even though I value my time I'm not worried about the extra 90 seconds it takes to cut a pair of brass bolts with a mini hacksaw. I really don't see any benefit to "improving" on what already exists.

Paul

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
A good squeeze on a set of lineman's pliers scores them deep enough to snap right off.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
How about a nice brass NUT to go with them ,,, i get tired of keeping old rusted nut CRAP out of grout !!!

Reactions: RealLivePlumber
1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.