Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A small leak developed at the anode bung and the water ran down to the lower thermostat, caused the stat to ground out onto the tank and burnt a hole in the tank as well as lighting the plastic on fire. That's the coolest heater failure I've seen yet. I just wish I could have been there to seen her blow. Is that twisted?

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I've seen them but not when it happened.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Wouldn't be so bad if it was just a leaking element, but getting the stink out of the old one is impossible after they've burned like that. I've only seen a few burn through the element.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was in the garage. I told him that it's a good idea to put in a pan and drain, but since it's in garage with block walls and good slope going out the garage it not essential or required by code.

·
Trust me. I'm a doctor.
934 Posts
American Water Heaters

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
American Water Heaters
Isn't that who makes them for whirlpoo also?
It looks like a pan drain could be ran out the wall to the right. Looks like an outside wall to me. But pro says its not required so i wouldn't have either. Pans are not 100% by the way,but do work in most failures.

·
Trust me. I'm a doctor.
934 Posts
Yes. I am pretty sure they make them for whirlpool too. I think they private label about 10 or 12 brands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not like American water heaters, over half I've ran into they didn't leave the anode rod accessible for service. I'm not cutting my own hole just to check/change the anode sorry. Personally I like Bradford and rheem, best and always stocked in my area. But I'm in a small town also and the only other brands are bought by home owners from Home Depot or lowes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts