Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that everybody already knows this but please be careful when you are disposing of porcelain. I work out of my home and don't have a dumpster so I tend to collect toilets and what not out back by the shop until there is a trailer load at which time I haul them all off to the land fill.

Today I was tossing them off of the trailer and there are always some broken pieces by the time I get there. I was wearing leather gloves and went to pick up a broken piece and it sliced right through the leather glove and into my thumb before I even had enough grip on it to pick it up! It immediately started pouring blood and probably could use a stitch or two (hey Crazy can you walk me through that? I've got a coat hanger and some monofiliment fishing line. Do I need anything else?).

Anyway, everybody knows that the edges of broken porcelain can be as sharp as razors (or sharper I think now) but I was surprised at how it passed through that glove as if there were no glove. On the other hand, had it not been for the glove I guess I might have severed my thumb.

Work is going to be fun for the next week or so.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've done it. I was putting down a brand new Kohler toilet on a moving blanket and the front of it just shattered. I didn't have any gloves on and cut up my hands pretty good.
We toss em in a dumpster that stays at the yard. My boss wants us to break them up to save room in the container. Fat chance of getting me to climb in there and break up porcelain with a hammer to save him a couple cents.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
If I had a dollar for every cut I got while plumbing, I could retire. Stop :cry: JK Keep it clean and dry, it can hurt like hell if it gets infected.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Don't forget your safety glasses when you chuck em in the dumpster.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Smells - Before even attempting the stitches, you need to find a needle to give yourself a tetnus show. Go downtown into crack alley and you can probably score a used needle for free. Your local drug dealer will probably need a day or two to find the tetnus stuff. After that, just pick up a copy of Sew Simple and you will be good to go.

On a serious note - my husband almost died due to porcelain! We were dating (worked at the same plumbing company) and he was helping me redo my bathroom. He loves demo work. The bathroom had tile walls with the porcelain towel holders from the 50's. Now this is REALLY stupid (but he was so in love, his brain wasn't engaged), he took a hammer and slammed down on the porcelain towel bar holder and into his BAREFOOT it went. Blood started pumping out and he put his foot in the tub. I have never seen so much blood!!! Something was very wrong, so I made him stop running water over the gash. Got some gauze and taped it up really tight. He put on his shoe and walked out to his truck to get something and when he came back in his shoe was full of blood. Went to the ER. Come to find out, he actually hit an artery. The doctor told him if he had not come in, it probably would have started bleeding while he slept and I would have woken up to a dead man. This would have been very hard to explain to the office since no one knew we were dating.

Be careful with porcelain, it cuts just like a razor.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is off topic but does anybody else see the ad at the top of this page for "Grand Rapids Plumber, $99 first hour and $50 for each additional hour"?

There is a link underneath it and my curiosity got me so I clicked on it only to discover that the site is no longer available.

Imagine that. Whatever could be wrong?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Too cheap:laughing: But you can click on the Mr. Rooter link and get a step by step on how to replace a garbage disposal:thumbup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
porcelain is straight up scary! my boss also has us break up toilets after we throw them in the dumpster so it won't get filled up too quickly. a coworker of mine recently caught a piece of shrapnel in his hand that went through his leather glove and won a trip to the emergency room. I won't break toilets up with a hammer any more...instead i use a 4' or longer piece of 1" pipe an jab at it.

I hate having to move/unload cracked or already broken toilets and lavys. i believe it's way sharper than razors! it's more like obsidian.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Broken Porcelain HAS to be the BADDEST CUTTING CRAP on earth !! It always needs to be respected !!

My question to Plumbcrazy ----- WHAT was your man doing demoing a shower BAREFOOT ???

I LIKE that freaky S*&T <;)

Cal

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
old toilets are fun for target practice. Do that from time to time. Thats how we roll sometimes in the dirty south. 7.62mm bullet will turn that stuff into powder baby!, Really only did that once. was fun as hell though, I cant lie.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
On site emergency treatment for open wounds.
1.Break middle finger to take mind off of other wound.
2.clean area to be treated with purple primer.
3.Dob area with pvc glue, untill coated.
4.allow glue to dry.
5.wrap area with napkins left over from breakfast or lunch.
6.Secure napkin in place with duct tap or staple gun.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Broken Porcelain HAS to be the BADDEST CUTTING CRAP on earth !! It always needs to be respected !!

My question to Plumbcrazy ----- WHAT was your man doing demoing a shower BAREFOOT ???

I LIKE that freaky S*&T <;)

Cal
He hadn't planned on doing demo that night. I had already started removing wall tile and wanted to show him my progress. He wanted to know why I left the porcelain towel bar ends. Little ol me couldn't pry them loose. Him: "Give me a hammer and I'll show you how to remove them." He was so smitten, his brain really wasn't engaged.

·
Banned
913 Posts
That's true love. Unfortunately, true love leads to kids. Now when I come home, my wife tells me that my nine year old clogged up the toilet.I just plunge it down. I refuse to get my auger off the van when it's in the driveway.
:laughing::laughing::laughing: It lead to three kids. Eventually we figured out what was causing it. Whew, if not, I can't imagine how many kids would be running around here.

When our 12 year old clogs the throne, he plunges! I feel bad for him, but hubby says, "he'll figure it out."

·
Registered
141 Posts
Talk about pain I pulled my lower back yesterday replacing an old gas cock behind a stove and have been moving around like an 100 year old man.. Nice way to celebrate new years eve.. like a hunchback.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts