Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a voice mail on my cell phone this morning. Call came in at 7 am.
Mind you, it got down to 19 degrees or less last night.

Quote " Hello, this is so and so. You plumbed my about 4 years ago. This morning when I got up, I had no hot water. I went out to the Rinaii and no water would run from either faucet. Give me a call and let me know if there is something I can do before I have to get you to come out. Thanks" End quote

Should I call him back and be the nice ole free advise giver or let him find out it should thaw in a short while?

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did like you said, called him. He said he would not be home till late today that he also thought that it would thaw. Told me he would call me if he had a problem. You were right. Thanks for the advise. I remember this old man, he was very particular about his stuff and was kinda sorta a pain in the blah blah but he paid good. :)

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
We had the piping freeze on 2 units this past week. It got down to 12* one morning which is exceedingly unusual here. I went out and thawed the pipes/isolator kits and it worked like a million bucks. Not sure if this was the best advice I could have given them but told them when we get a hard freeze like that here that they need to let a faucet drip on the hot side over night but not enough to fire the unit (which would be way more than a drip). Haven't had any more reports. Explained to the ho that this one was on us but we will charge in the future if we have to come thaw pipes. Everything was insulated but these 2 units had locations that were relatively unprotected from wind which I think is what made the differance. I would ordinarily scoff at the use of heat tape or similar products but I wonder if it might be the right answer in this circumstance? Noritz has a pipe cover but really, it just doesn't normally get that cold here and in at least one of the units that was affected the unit was too low to the ground to accomodate the pipe cover box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts