Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
What I do is lock small vice grips on the crimped ear and rock and twist the ring till loose, slide it back off the fitting and this allows be to remove the pex freely with ring out of the way.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, never tried that, may try it tomorrow. Sometimes I even use a grinder with one of those skinny blades

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Oh man guys... don't even do PEX without a decrimping tool.

But the one pictured? Haven't tried it. I have the one that slips in on the end.

You bear down on it once to cut the ring, then swivel it around like you are going to cut the ring on the other side. Instead it just pops the ring wide open and it falls off.

Then hit the PEX itself a few licks and it will fall right off too.

The best one has a little wheel you can adjust between 1/2" or 3/4" & 1".

Hate to say it, but I saw one at Blowes today for 25 bucks.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I used to use a Dremel with a carbide wheel, but the crimp buster is invaluable. I haven't seen the one in the first picture - does it remove the PEX from the fitting too, like the Rex-Wheeler and others like it does?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Those tile cutter snips look like they'd do the trick well too, I've had to use a pair of ***** that worked well...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have both of the ones that 22 posted and usp posted. 22's is better because it can be used on copper pex fittings where the other ones will bend the copper fitting. also usp's needs a sharp blade and the blade breaks all the time.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I keep a pair in the back of the van... it is faster to cut and go and trim the rings later. Or that spontaneous change of plans... it works great. Very nice to have around and a much better option than a hack saw and a busted knuckle. E-bay shows quite a few different models in a wide price range... Ours have paid for themselves several times. :thumbsup:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...oval&hl=en&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS335US336&sa=N&um=1

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
I have the pexcaliber model to cut the copper crimp rings off. I never make a mistake so they never really get used:laughing:

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I repair all types and to do that you need tools. IMO:whistling2:

I'm not buying tools for the other garbage out there and I refuse to touch it, why should I? Either put in a quality product or you get a repipe after the fact, it's just that simple.:whistling2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts