Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For yous guys who are knowledgeable about Pex. I have the crimp tools to repair the old and hateful polybutylene ,,,,
We are seeing more and more Pex in my area and just need to know .....

If I need to repair it ,,, can I use the SAME crimp tool ???

Man , I don't want to buy anymore of those things !!

Please advice ,,,

Cal

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand . You work with much Pex ? You like it ?

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Depends on your tool but probably yes if it's a ring crimper. Just make sure it's properly adjusted.
Was there any other kind? I saw a lot of PB rings that had kind of an ear pulled out on two sides but I never saw those tools for sale. Is that what you are talking about?

BTW, Cal, make sure your tools are calibrated correctly. Holler if you don't know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah ,, I'm a copper guy with a little cpvc starting to squeak in . I just want to make sure I'm ready . My crimping tools work great on PB repairs .

Calibrate ? Not sure .

Cal

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Yeah ,, I'm a copper guy with a little cpvc starting to squeak in . I just want to make sure I'm ready . My crimping tools work great on PB repairs .

Calibrate ? Not sure .

Cal
You need a special calibrating tool to do this. It's called a GO/NO GO Gauge.

If you can't find one let me know and I'll see what i can do to hook you up with one.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Yes, Watts Pex uses the pinch ring and Viega has the ss rin g too. Cal's right, you need 4 different tools to work pex.
OK, we weren't on the same page. I thought you were talking about tools that were used for PB only, back in the PB days. But yeah, today there are a variety of different joining systems.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I have the GO/NO GO tool .

Thank you guys !

Cal

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Cal with qest pex crimp tools and similar the go no go guage works on both.I have had to do some quick repairs and the tools crossed over. You will need transition couplings to go from poly to pex.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
You will need transition couplings to go from poly to pex.
Wish they make a special adapter for it, but not sure that will happen, in the mean time a poly barbed MIP with a FIP pex adapter, hose clamps and that what it takes.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Wish they make a special adapter for it, but not sure that will happen, in the mean time a poly barbed MIP with a FIP pex adapter, hose clamps and that what it takes.
They do make a Poly X Pex coupling. If that was what you were getting at.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I'm talking about the black yard pipe not the gray color pipe found in modular homes.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Several manufactures including Watts makes transition fittings for poly - PEX.

Mark

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Several manufactures including Watts makes transition fittings for poly - PEX.

Mark

The black poly yard pipe, I know about the gray poly couplings, as far as I know there in no ring made for the black poly yard pipe. If there is show me a link.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Yes they use it here for water service and sprinkler piping.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts