Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's put this issue to rest once and for all. Let's take a little unofficial survey here. After a week or so we could have a pretty good idea what is the norm these days. No arguing about who is right or wrong or why you use it. Just let us know what you use these days. No bashing!:rolleyes:
When bidding a new home or remodel do you bid it with pex or copper?
When doing re-pipes do you use pex or copper?
If you use Pex, what product do you like to use?
If you are a pex user, do you think you will ever go back to using copper for the above type jobs in the future?

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start, I bid all my jobs for Pex. When doing service and re-pipes I use almost all pex if possible.
I like the Pureflow product made by Viega with the stainless steel sleeves and bronze fittings.
I will never go back to using copper for the above type jobs.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I'll start, I bid all my jobs for Pex. When doing service and re-pipes I use almost all pex if possible.
I like the Pureflow product made by Viega with the stainless steel sleeves and bronze fittings.
I will never go back to using copper for the above type jobs.
You sure?

What happens if Viega catches a lawsuit in the future like most companies?

Will you still stand behind them?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I think we have been over, under, and all around this issue about a thousand times already and this thread should be shut down before it rapidly gets out of hand, yet again. What you are looking for is some sort of vindication of your choice, when in truth it does not matter one single bit what anyone prefers as they are ultimately the ones that are going to have to take the responsibility for thier choice. We all know your feelings on the subject and believe it or not we all respect your decision because it is your decision. The problem is that you seem to have problem respecting some members decision and opinions contrary to yours. So what if 75% of the members vote for PEX, what are you going to do, raise the flag of victory? Are the other 25% going to suddenly see the error of their ways and immediatly switch to PEX?

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we have been over, under, and all around this issue about a thousand times already and this thread should be shut down before it rapidly gets out of hand, yet again. What you are looking for is some sort of vindication of your choice, when in truth it does not matter one single bit what anyone prefers as they are ultimately the ones that are going to have to take the responsibility for thier choice. We all know your feelings on the subject and believe it or not we all respect your decision because it is your decision. The problem is that you seem to have problem respecting some members decision and opinions contrary to yours. So what if 75% of the members vote for PEX, what are you going to do, raise the flag of victory? Are the other 25% going to suddenly see the error of their ways and immediatly switch to PEX?
You don't have to take part Nhmaster. I'm not looking for an argument, just want to see what other plumbers are using. Why are taking such offense with a simple little survey?:whistling2:

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You sure?

What happens if Viega catches a lawsuit in the future like most companies?

Will you still stand behind them?
I'm not worried at all. You are bunching all pex into one category, that's not right. Just like all plumbing products there are good and there are better and there are best.
The company I use has been around for over 100 years. The pex they manufacture has been installed for over 25 years. They have a 25 year guarantee (I'm pretty sure you will see that guarantee rising), I'm very confident in what I'm installing.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I dont actually think there is a place where copper is NOT allowed and only pex is...is there such a place...in the USA.....?

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont actually think there is a place where copper is NOT allowed and only pex is...is there such a place...in the USA.....?
I don't think it's ever a question of it being allowed, the question is preference. I really wasn't speaking of commercial work, I should have been more clear. But then again I did just speak with a general up in Anchorage who IS requiring Pex on a lot of the jobs.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
I am not saying my material is better, the o.p. wanted to know what material we used. My area is Northeastern Illinois, Greater Chicago area. Pex is seldom seen or used around here. I have used it once, in a brutal crawlspace where there was no room to sweat pipe. I also hooked up a manifold to pex pipe installed by the H/O for radiant heat.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I have never used PEX, nor have I seen it in person, it is not code approved in my area, we use either copper or galvanized steel pipe for water pipe depending on what the building engineer requires.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mostly copper. I've done a few jobs with pex and I have to admit it was a lot faster and cheaper, but I really wasn't happy with the look of the finished product where it was exposed and visable. (mechanical room, unfinished basement). In the grand scheme of things I feel that a project completed in copper, though more expensive has a much more professional look when completed. With the majority of my work being new housing, the quality of our piping could be part of what sells the property.
How often do you hear of "Home Inspector's" complimenting the workmanship? We hear it all the time.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts