Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Illinois Licensed Plumbing Contractor
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve looked at a few residential remodel jobs to give quotes now that I’m out on my own. Owners didn’t want me to pull a permit because none of the other trades did. Each time I just said I’m not the right contractor for this job and thanked them for their time and left. How does everyone else handle this type of situation? This is a city of 150,000. I know all the inspectors and have built a great working relationships with them the past 18 years of being in the trade.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I’ve looked at a few residential remodel jobs to give quotes now that I’m out on my own. Owners didn’t want me to pull a permit because none of the other trades did. Each time I just said I’m not the right contractor for this job and thanked them for their time and left. How does everyone else handle this type of situation? This is a city of 150,000. I know all the inspectors and have built a great working relationships with them the past 18 years of being in the trade.
If you dont need the money and you are busy
then dont take the risk.....
Do they want hack work? Or just to avoid 'the hassle'?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I would double check the local regs on what needs a permit. Here, if the fixtures aren't moving you're fine. You can tear it down to the studs, retile the whole thing, put all brand new fixtures, and as long as the stub outs don't really change you're good.

That said, no one gets permits, and no one really cares. The only permits that get pulled are for adding to the home or removing and rebuilding a wing.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I would double check the local regs on what needs a permit. Here, if the fixtures aren't moving you're fine. You can tear it down to the studs, retile the whole thing, put all brand new fixtures, and as long as the stub outs don't really change you're good.

That said, no one gets permits, and no one really cares. The only permits that get pulled are for adding to the home or removing and rebuilding a wing.
What he said,permits for small service and or remodel work area waste of time and money and will cause way more work than first quoted

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,326 Posts
Usually a little of both. I do things to code and some customers don’t want to pay to have it up to code. That’s when I walk. Not worth my time.
On the west side of town in Speedway their has been a huge rash of house flippers who
are adding a bath to a single bath slab homes. They dont get caught at the time but months
after the home is sold the new homeowner tries to upgrade something on the outside of the house
and an inspector drives by and wants to inspect the home...... They find out a bath has been added
and they red-tag the home expecting the new home owner to make it up to code......

Of course the hacks who did the work are long gone and someone gets sued...
And I get a call from them wanting me to take out a permit and make things right

no thank you

·
Registered
Illinois Licensed Plumbing Contractor
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Our inspectors here will knock on the door and ask about a permit if they see an old water heater sitting at the curb.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,298 Posts
I’ve heard about the College of Trades, checking lic’ing in the plumbing isles of big box stores or following trucks/vans with lengths of pipe sticking out, from suppliers/big box stores back to job sites, then they check for lic’ing and prob permits.

·
Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
In the city of Lansing all city employees must report any construction work going on. Even the garbage man. I think the only ones that really do that are the inspectors. However, Lansing has lost a shnt ton of income because of Covid. If you work or live in the city you have to pay income tax. There’s a bunch of State buildings and thousands of workers. Now they’re all designated as working from home and if they don’t live in the city, they no longer have to pay income tax. To add salt, to park your car you had to pay $6/day in a city parking lot.
My wife’s company is in Lansing, but about a year ago they switched her, and all of her coworkers, to work from home. So we got a tax break.
Thats a lot of money lost! So they’ll need to look for money one way or another and I bet non-permitted work will be even more strictly enforced.

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts

Exact same thing here. GC doing new houses don't even hire plumbers most of the time. A lot of times the 1st year apprentice doing cash jobs, several months or years later I get to fix the hack... A lot of time I refuse to even go when I see pics and know the entire house has to be restarted to fix an issue.

Reno same thing, they don't get permits because they never hire plumbers, they hack it themselves and I get to fix their $hit months later when the home owner don't want to see their face ever again.

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
I’ve heard about the College of Trades, checking lic’ing in the plumbing isles of big box stores or following trucks/vans with lengths of pipe sticking out, from suppliers/big box stores back to job sites, then they check for lic’ing and prob permits.
Yet they don't check the 10 000 hack ads on kijiji, go figure!

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
Yeah, that’s fcuky!
I’ve also seen so many Kijiji adds that read like this:
“pass the 306A plumbing exam” first time guaranteed! $2500-$5000, study 16 hours one weekend.
Yeah it happens here too. One guy who said he got his licence said he didn't attend any class. I presume he studied the exam answers for a fee. There was even a fake school near me, for about $2500 you could study, they were cheating in broad daylight! I turned around and left, I was too afraid of a scam but I knew something wasn't right. It didn't last long, 5 months after it was shut down.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,298 Posts
Yeah it happens here too. One guy who said he got his licence said he didn't attend any class. I presume he studied the exam answers for a fee. There was even a fake school near me, for about $2500 you could study, they were cheating in broad daylight! I turned around and left, I was too afraid of a scam but I knew something wasn't right. It didn't last long, 5 months after it was shut down.
The system is FCUKED!
there are some immigrants pretty much fresh off the boat, Who can’t read and barley speak the (English) language - who have passed the 306a.. how is that possible?
Then they rake us over the coals, and keep a watchful eye on us..

Unreal- Lic’ed plumbers, who hold a valid 306a, who can’t read or speak English, didnt graduate high school in Canada, and didn’t put in their 10k hrs!!?!?!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Our inspectors here will knock on the door and ask about a permit if they see an old water heater sitting at the curb.
That only works when there's a curb.

The likelihold of someone getting a permit is conversely porportional to the length of their driveway.

·
Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
We use to do lots of work for this one GC. Finish carpenter, but he does it all except plumbing, hvac and electrical. He has an amazing eye for detail! He does remodels for doctors, lawyers, proffers…. People with good money. I don’t think he’s ever pulled a permit and most of the neighborhoods he works in have short driveways. I don’t know how he hasn’t been caught. He’s properly licensed and insured too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts