Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When writing up a bill on a T&M job, do you mark up the cost of the permit?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did you or any of your employees spend any time pulling said permit?

There's your answer.
Exactly right. I bill it out as a line item. I start billing when I leave my office and stop billing when the permit is pulled and I'm back in my truck.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Did you or any of your employees spend any time pulling said permit?

There's your answer.
I pull permits by fax....I have an account with the city and it comes outta my balance....only catch is you must give them 300.00 at a time. kinda sucks when you only need a 60.00 permit a few times a year. But it does take the trouble outta going there to get it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I pull permits by fax....I have an account with the city and it comes outta my balance....only catch is you must give them 300.00 at a time. kinda sucks when you only need a 60.00 permit a few times a year. But it does take the trouble outta going there to get it.

So, at a minimum, that $ 60 on deposit is costing you a couple of bucks a year in lost interest. The computer/phone line is something, as is your time, albeit fairly small in this case. A 10% markup on the fee would not be out of line at all. Maybe 20%

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The way I word the cost for the permit on the invoice is " Permits and Fees" This way i can include the time it took to get the permit.
Thats exactly how i do it. permit and handling fees. If they ask i explain that it costs me my time to fill out the app. for the permit and to go get it.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I mark up everything as materials such as tolls if applicable, hiring an firm that files my permits I mark it up gasoline for the jetter's, sawzall blades $10.00 each to cover the cost of a reciprocating saw

·
Registered
714 Posts
All permits that are required here are covered under a building permit retrieved by the contractor/ homeowner.

But, on the inspection fee here ($25.00) we do not mark it up. It is the same for the customer as it is for us. However, the time that we have to stay and wait on the inspector to arrive is calculated back to the customer. The inspection price is the same whether it is a sewerline, gasline, water heater, rough-in, etc.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I use to have a flat-rate of $75 plus permit costs. Today it would probably be $125 plus permit cost.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts