Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We get paid weekly every Monday. How other to you do payroll or get paid?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about holidays, here if payday falls on a holiday, we get paid the Friday before.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
By union contract paychecks have to be delivered no later than two business days after the work week ends, our work week ends on Wed. and paychecks are issued on Fri. If Fri. happens to be a holiday paychecks are issued on Thurs. with the unpaid holiday deducted from the following weeks check.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Wow, the "payday" concept is almost forgotten.

I tend to hold checks till I have a bunch, then deposit in one trip.

I actually had a month last year where I was outright swamped for three weeks straight out 7 days, I wound up depositing $20k after one customer called to ask me if I'd lost the check because it hadn't cleared his account in two weeks.
That was a little embarrassing.

·
Banned
913 Posts
If Fri. happens to be a holiday, paychecks are issued on Thurs.

Grumpy - Is your bank far away? We deposit 2-3 times per week. If our office was broken into or a fire happened, I wouldn't want to call customers and ask for checks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I pay myself weakly... very very weakly.

We issue checks and pay stubs on Friday mornings. Direct deposits go in on Wednesday night.

We pay two weeks behind now. Vacations are prepaid however. We pay most holidays and an extra days pay for birthdays and anniversaries (employment, you're on your own with the spouse).

I'm a firm believer in treating our people like they are irreplaceable. After all, its only money.

·
Plumbing Contractor
975 Posts
Payday???

Hmmm... Payday is when a GC send his money for the invoice I give them. Or when I do a service call. We have no payroll yet for myself. When I had a employee he got paid on Fridays.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
If Fri. happens to be a holiday, paychecks are issued on Thurs.

Grumpy - Is your bank far away? We deposit 2-3 times per week. If our office was broken into or a fire happened, I wouldn't want to call customers and ask for checks.
Confession...I harbor a secret contempt for you.

Mt wife won't so much as listen to me talk about a customer who cracked a joke, nevermind helping me with deposits or paperwork.
The bank could be right next door, but if I don't have time, I don't have time.

The thought of a fire or other damage to the checks has occured to me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
For several reasons. First of all, we pay better than our competitors, and if someone is looking for work from us, its one way to weed out the folks that can't manage their own finances.

The second reason is cash flow. When we do have to get rid of someone, we cut them a check up to the termination date. That gives them enough to live on for two weeks and get back on their feet. Its also a great incentive for the addicted mind to reason that if they quit or get fired, they can get all that cash at once. Of course they don't have a plan for what happens after that, but... Gift horse and all.

The third reason is just because that is the way I want to do it. LOL Well.. that is what my staff tells me, but I feel that honestly it sets us apart more in the minds of folks that would like to work for us. Small sacrifice up front for some potentially great benefits. We do offer a draw, after a proper credit check for those that might have emergencies or other problems. I interview all folks that work for me and I tell them straight out how it will be and ask if its a deal breaker and why.

I also tell them they are welcome to think about it and get back to me, but not to make other plans if its a deal breaker until we have a chance to talk about it.

I haven't had to allow a draw for anyone yet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Confession...I harbor a secret contempt for you.

Mt wife won't so much as listen to me talk about a customer who cracked a joke, nevermind helping me with deposits or paperwork.
The bank could be right next door, but if I don't have time, I don't have time.

The thought of a fire or other damage to the checks has occured to me.
Grumpy, I'm gonna chew you out here, so put on your asbestos underoos.

You don't have time? Do you eat? Do you write out invoices? When was the last time you peed? Don't have time's ass! You have the time to do the work, but not time to make your deposits.?

That is one of the lamest excuses I have ever heard. You don't 'have' time, you make it. Just like anything else. You shut down what you are doing and do it.
You should be depositing everyday. Period! How long does it take to write some numbers on a piece of paper and add them up, sign your name two or three times and drop it in a night depository box?

OK, I'm done.

·
Banned
913 Posts
For several reasons. First of all, we pay better than our competitors, and if someone is looking for work from us, its one way to weed out the folks that can't manage their own finances.

It does accomplish that!

However, I don't think it would fly here. From a personal standpoint, would I work for an employer where I had to put in 80 hours before being paid? Honestly, I don't think so. Yes it's an investment, but if the company goes belly up, I lost a lot of money.

·
Banned
913 Posts
You shut down what you are doing and do it.
You should be depositing everyday. Period! How long does it take to write some numbers on a piece of paper and add them up, sign your name two or three times and drop it in a night depository box?

OK, I'm done.
Double A - I think you are being a little hard on Grumpy. You are right about making time, but sometimes the choice can be between "Do I make money on this call that I just received while driving to the bank?" or "Do I continue to the bank and then drive to customer's home to do job, arrive home late for dinner, tick off the happy wife, and sleep alone?" Which then leads to a VERY GRUMPY PLUMBER!

Grumpy - In a nice way, you have to make the time. It's IMPORTANT! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have to deposit or I wouldn't be able to keep operating. Although FR has improved the bottom line over the last almost-a-year, I still am not getting well into the black. But I'm getting better and I'm currently busy.

And my bank won't let me use the money for one business day so I got into the habit of depositing as quickly as I get the money. I'll deposit before I go to the next job. But then, this is a small town and my bank(s) are only a few blocks away.

And it can happen that I get too busy to deposit quickly, but I do make it a priority. It's not money until you can use it.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Grumpy, I'm gonna chew you out here, so put on your asbestos underoos.

You don't have time? Do you eat? Do you write out invoices? When was the last time you peed? Don't have time's ass! You have the time to do the work, but not time to make your deposits.?

That is one of the lamest excuses I have ever heard. You don't 'have' time, you make it. Just like anything else. You shut down what you are doing and do it.

OK, I'm done.
Wow!

I gotta hit ya back...
When, if ever, where you a one man shop?

For me it's either feast or famine.
One week I have a toilet flapper and a leaky faucet, thats it.
The next week, I am cringing when the phone rings..especially when I'm already booked for a 10 hour day the next day.

I can't catch a break, either all or none, busy or slow.

I'll be giving my customers a lil' talkin' to and explain that they need to start getting on the same page and space the calls for my convenience.

If I'm faced with either depositing checks, or beating rush hour at 3pm to get to the next job...guess what I choose?

I'm not replying seriously per se, you are right, but I have a habit of grouping tasks in a way to cut down on time.

A daily trip to the bank would be an extra 1/2 hour per day I'd lose for productivity.

I generally go once or twice a week, but if work is very busy, the checks aren't going to bounce if I wait a lil'.

As for the asbestos underoo's, dunno how you found out bout them, but really wish you didn't have to tell everyone.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I have to deposit or I wouldn't be able to keep operating. Although FR has improved the bottom line over the last almost-a-year, I still am not getting well into the black. But I'm getting better and I'm currently busy.

And my bank won't let me use the money for one business day so I got into the habit of depositing as quickly as I get the money. I'll deposit before I go to the next job. But then, this is a small town and my bank(s) are only a few blocks away.

And it can happen that I get too busy to deposit quickly, but I do make it a priority. It's not money until you can use it.
I hate your situation, and I sound like a broken record...I know.

After the years of work, for a pro like you to have to struggle, it angers me...I really wish I had the magic solution for your problem.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
A daily trip to the bank would be an extra 1/2 hour per day I'd lose for productivity.

I generally go once or twice a week, but if work is very busy, the checks aren't going to bounce if I wait a lil'.
You can use the night depository when the bank is closed, and deposit the checks for the day on your way home.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
You can use the night depository when the bank is closed, and deposit the checks for the day on your way home.
I have a penchant for live, in person banking.

Like a kid that has to look under the bed before he goes to sleep, I get the creeps dropping checks in a box.

My wife used to work for a bank, once in a while she had a story about deposit and ATM mishaps that sometimes took days to clear up.

I prefer to see the reciept and balance reflecting the deposit live, from a living human being.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts