Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I know over the last few weeks things have been getting pushed towards the edge here. I don't know about you guys but it's been effecting me. I went to the doctor the other day for a physical and the doc starts talking to me, knowing I'm a plumber, about some problems he's having at his home. Immediatly in my mind i jump on the defensive like he want's free advice. He just wanted to schedule an appointment for me to come over and take care of his laundry list of plumbing issues. I can't friggen believe i'm getting this way. When i first came to this site it was great. Got some help, gave some help and had some laughs. This site is a good thing and i can't believe it's made me gunshy around a potential customer. This doctor wants to give me money and my first impulse is to bash him and tell him to go to a diy chat room. We all need to lighten up in here and use this site to its potential. Not create a breed of plumbing cyber a-hol:censored:. I do believe we should respect that this is a site for us, professional plumbers. And i am also a basher to the diy'ers. So i'm going to quit bashing the homeowners and let the cat and monkey handle them.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Why in Gods name would you ever think to bash a homeowner? I think you went to the wrong kind of Doctor.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Just hit the report a post button,
, ignore the diy'er and move on, we will get to it ASAP, if this happens with all members this can be a well balanced site. :yes:

Reactions: ILPlumber

·
Registered
415 Posts
Turn every person into a sale.

It is amazing what you can do with your mind. You can make thing worse, or you can turn just about everything into gold. It is amazing how people choose which position they are going to take. Personally, I take calls from DIY's and I go to their homes even when I know they are doing an entire project without a contractor. I had a very young customer call me last year and he was trying to install an entire bathroom by himself. I give the guy a lot of credit. I spent almost two hours driving to the DIY's house and talking to him. I did not get the job, but about 9 months later he referred me to his neighbor and I sold him a drain job, furnace, and a sewer for $15,000.

You just don't know. I am a general contractor. I do everything myself. I have about 35 employees, so I have the manpower to do the work, and last week I was going to install a 14,000 square foot roof. I had all the lumber and materials on the job site. I know I am not completely qualified to do a job this large fast and the best way. A contractor stopped by. Yes, I am a DIY, but this contractor talked me into allowing him to do the roof and I paid him $18,000 just for the labor. He did the entire framing in three days and the TorchOn in another three days.

You see! you can talk DIY's into doing their work for them, sometimes. And I gave them a $2,000 tip to divide with their employees. So, not every DIY is a cheapo!

Seriously! You need to start hanging around people who have positive thoughts and people who know how to capitalize, or find something good from just about every situation.

·
Banned
913 Posts
MJ - You need to treat every human indivdually. Most are good and sometimes the ones who appear rude just need to be educated. Leave the paranoid thinking behind. It will eat you up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts