Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a job I started saturday, line was blocked badly. No outside cleanout but there is one now.

6" clay, materials cost $160.00 for a 10' length of 6", 2 - 6" clay to pvc ferncos, 6X4 wye with a street 22. Cleanout is now 8' from the problem spot. It was dug up where the water was surfacing.

Been clogging up for over a year, but finally surfaced water nearly 4' up out of the ground... that's a tight clog.

It's done, clay was brittle but that's why a diamond blade angle grinder was used.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you camera to see what the true cause of the blockages was?

Nope. Not going to spend thousands on a camera. Would be nice, but everyone always complains of them breaking, not lasting.

Would love to have one but we pulled back roots and hair, TONS of hair.

To clog a 6" clay line and have water creeping out of the ground 4' feet, impressive.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Cameras are worth there weight in gold when it comes to sewers. I hate leaving old risers in place because a lot of the times it's the tap that is failing. Before I got my camera, on 6" I would run a 5" cutter head down the pipe. If a 5" blade can get through with out getting hung up, a turd will pass through also...Glad I got a camera now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Tommy plumber said:
Even if the c.o. you installed is close to the city connection, I would have installed a 2-way c.o.
With the one that you installed, you can only cable in one direction.
Read my mind

·
Registered
151 Posts
DUNBAR PLUMBING said:
Nope. Not going to spend thousands on a camera. Would be nice, but everyone always complains of them breaking, not lasting.

Would love to have one but we pulled back roots and hair, TONS of hair.

To clog a 6" clay line and have water creeping out of the ground 4' feet, impressive.
A camera pays itself off in just "1" good job. Not sure I agree or understand your concept there. How do you sell sewer jobs or even come close to fully evaluating a mainline without one??? :Guess:

·
TX Plumber
1,673 Posts
Doesn't code require you to install a cleanout access the same diameter as the main for which you are installing it? Basically, like another poster said, why a 4" access for a 6" main?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Doesn't code require you to install a cleanout access the same diameter as the main for which you are installing it? Basically, like another poster said, why a 4" access for a 6" main?

IPC does, not sure about where the OP is. I'd prefered a 2 way cleanout also or better two combos.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Code here requires full size cleanout up to 4" pipe, larger pipe can be installed with a 4" cleanout. Not best practice, but it is allowed.

Florida Building Code, Plumbing 708.7 . Based, I believe, on the IPC.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Best Darn Sewer said:
Right! He reduced from 8" to 6" to 4". I know us fellow plumbers love to nitpick others, but I will also give credit were credit is due. Not sure its due here.......that's just my 2cents.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any reason for not running a 6" clean out up instead of 4" beside cost?

Customer had a section of 4" they wanted us to use if we could.

Cameras are worth there weight in gold when it comes to sewers. I hate leaving old risers in place because a lot of the times it's the tap that is failing. Before I got my camera, on 6" I would run a 5" cutter head down the pipe. If a 5" blade can get through with out getting hung up, a turd will pass through also...Glad I got a camera now.
I agree, cameras are awesome but I'd never get my full money out of its use... I know myself, and I'd be running that camera for free most times just to see what I got into, and if I got it clean.

Even if the c.o. you installed is close to the city connection, I would have installed a 2-way c.o.
With the one that you installed, you can only cable in one direction.

The way it's now, there's a cleanout every 40'. I don't agree with 2 way cleanouts because

1. When you arrive the system is flooded, you cannot 'tell' it's a 2 way and
2. It's directional, meaning I throw that cable in that cleanout I know exactly where it's going to go, one way.

I see necessity of a 2 way when there's not two other cleanouts, either direction of 40' like this one was.

A camera pays itself off in just "1" good job. Not sure I agree or understand your concept there. How do you sell sewer jobs or even come close to fully evaluating a mainline without one??? :Guess:

I rarely do outside dig jobs. Rarely.... I stick to drain cleaning mainly inside the homes as well, like it that way.

I've been on these forums too long on the internet to hear of the horror stories of cameras breaking, parts/screens not working, obsolesence by just a year or two with a 'new and improved' and guess what; the old won't match the new in compatability. That's BS in my world and I won't spend thousands to be caught in the mix, finding out the hard way.

I get maybe 5 calls a year for camera work... it's going to sit more than it's used for some time.

No code requiring same size cleanout risers of the main. I can see its value (attachment head for 6") but it's not warranted. They turned up a 4" riser the same exact way when the city turned up a cleanout where they ran new piping for the main sewers.

Right! He reduced from 8" to 6" to 4". I know us fellow plumbers love to nitpick others, but I will also give credit were credit is due. Not sure its due here.......that's just my 2cents.
It's 6" clay, 6" to 6" with a 4" riser. All 3 risers are matching 4", the code required minimum size for outside sewer.

Existing 6" because it's an existing larger pipe that's replicated to the main because you can not downsize unless you take up to the building wall where 4" exists.

Not once, but twice this property owner had opportunities to remove this aging piping system.

Everyone picks on everything on this site, I'm used to it. I didn't even have to turn out a c/o. It's just a good move given the fact that standing clog was pretty impressive. 4" cutter will clean a 6" line all-day-long.

Everyone wants super clean drain when you clean... just remember that you wrote yourself out of a job for years polishing a pipe like that. The piping's poor condition brought you there... do you expect it not to come back?

It's a symptom fix, not a problem solve when you clear a drain. It WILL return.

·
TX Plumber
1,673 Posts
Customer had a section of 4" they wanted us to use if we could.

I agree, cameras are awesome but I'd never get my full money out of its use... I know myself, and I'd be running that camera for free most times just to see what I got into, and if I got it clean.

The way it's now, there's a cleanout every 40'. I don't agree with 2 way cleanouts because

1. When you arrive the system is flooded, you cannot 'tell' it's a 2 way and
2. It's directional, meaning I throw that cable in that cleanout I know exactly where it's going to go, one way.

I see necessity of a 2 way when there's not two other cleanouts, either direction of 40' like this one was.

I rarely do outside dig jobs. Rarely.... I stick to drain cleaning mainly inside the homes as well, like it that way.

I've been on these forums too long on the internet to hear of the horror stories of cameras breaking, parts/screens not working, obsolesence by just a year or two with a 'new and improved' and guess what; the old won't match the new in compatability. That's BS in my world and I won't spend thousands to be caught in the mix, finding out the hard way.

I get maybe 5 calls a year for camera work... it's going to sit more than it's used for some time.

No code requiring same size cleanout risers of the main. I can see its value (attachment head for 6") but it's not warranted. They turned up a 4" riser the same exact way when the city turned up a cleanout where they ran new piping for the main sewers.

It's 6" clay, 6" to 6" with a 4" riser. All 3 risers are matching 4", the code required minimum size for outside sewer.

Existing 6" because it's an existing larger pipe that's replicated to the main because you can not downsize unless you take up to the building wall where 4" exists.

Not once, but twice this property owner had opportunities to remove this aging piping system.

Everyone picks on everything on this site, I'm used to it. I didn't even have to turn out a c/o. It's just a good move given the fact that standing clog was pretty impressive. 4" cutter will clean a 6" line all-day-long.

Everyone wants super clean drain when you clean... just remember that you wrote yourself out of a job for years polishing a pipe like that. The piping's poor condition brought you there... do you expect it not to come back?

It's a symptom fix, not a problem solve when you clear a drain. It WILL return.
Haha. Fair enough. People do heavily critique here. But that can be a good thing. It keeps us in check, though sometimes it does go overboard.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts