Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on the local news in orlando during our vacation last week.

"Plumber Injured By Lightning That Hit Nearby Water Main Posted: 4:49 pm EDT June 4, 2009Updated: 6:31 pm EDT June 4, 2009 APOPKA, Fla. -- A man was injured by a lightning strike in Apopka Thursday afternoon. Eyewitness News learned that lightning hit a water main pipe near a home on Falconwood Court (see map). The man and his son arrived at the home to install a dishwasher. An electrical current from the lightning traveled two blocks through the water line and shocked the 47-year-old plumber who was working on the dishwasher. The homeowner said he went inside the kitchen to check on the man, who was conscious and asked the homeowner to check on his son. The son was ok, but when the homeowner returned to the kitchen, he found the plumber unconscious. Officials say he was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center in stable condition. The plumber regained consciousness while he was on the stretcher en route to the hospital. Officials have issued a boil water alert for the neighborhood.

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
My house has been struck 6 times in the past 22 years that I know of. I have lost a lot of televisions, radios, computers, phones, etc.
Who says lightning doesn't strike the same place twice?

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
forgive my ignorance, but what is a boil water alert? I get the self explanitory part, but why? I assume one would boil water to kill any germs / bacteria....if the line became energized...how does that cause germs to grow? I see lightning about once every other year or so...if that

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
forgive my ignorance, but what is a boil water alert? I get the self explanitory part, but why? I assume one would boil water to kill any germs / bacteria....if the line became energized...how does that cause germs to grow? I see lightning about once every other year or so...if that

You know, after reading that again, I was wondering the same thing myself. Unless it caused a blowout on the main somewhere. That crap happens here all the time, not by lighting, but just old mains popping leaks here and there.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Your assumption is correct. A boil water alert/advisory is issued by the water supplier as mandated by the local health authority if it is deemed there is a risk of bacterial contamination of the water supply.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You know, after reading that again, I was wondering the same thing myself. Unless it caused a blowout on the main somewhere. That crap happens here all the time, not by lighting, but just old mains popping leaks here and there.
Main breakage is one possibility, another is the dislodging of the bio-film which forms on the inside pipe wall.

It could be that a chlorination infection station may have been affected in some way and to be on the safe side the boil water alert was issued.

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
We just got hit here again this past Thursday at 4:30 am. Got my shop tv whis is really expensive, Funked my laptop ( it works but acts strange ),the electric gate, tripped 3 breakers in shop, tripped 4 in the house, sons computer monitor flickers now, got my phone line, zapped the singnal booster to the tv cable to the shop, and also the cable itself ( 250 ft ), and my bench grinder. Each meter has a lightning arrestor on it to no avail. Still checking things out. Filing claim Monday.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,594 Posts
got lightly hit once

1982 working on a Chi chis restraunt in colorado and got a buzz from cast iron pipe I was installing in the building.... felt it hit me and run up my shoulder, but I was not well grounded..... and I just pulled away...

a phone man 100 yards away outside at the pole was almost killed and taken off in bad shape to the hospital,, never knew how that turned out...

·
Registered
651 Posts
1982 working on a Chi chis restraunt in colorado and got a buzz from cast iron pipe I was installing in the building.... felt it hit me and run up my shoulder, but I was not well grounded..... and I just pulled away...

a phone man 100 yards away outside at the pole was almost killed and taken off in bad shape to the hospital,, never knew how that turned out...
You be one lucky dude that day.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I know a girl that got zapped by lightning on the beach at Block Island...

She lived...

But to this day every time she sweats the silver chain she was wearing around her neck that disappeared, can be seen as tarnish on her neck.

You can clearly see the links.:yes:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Dude, that's freaky.

I know a girl that got zapped by lightning on the beach at Block Island...

She lived...

But to this day every time she sweats the silver chain she was wearing around her neck that disappeared, can be seen as tarnish on her neck.

You can clearly see the links.:yes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts