Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently moved to Beaverton Oregon. I was a pipe fitters union service plumber, residential and commercial, Have done new construction , and street work. They have know union here for plumbers..that is that I know of...Thing is in Oregon being a journeyman is not enough, they want some a license. Why! And , how do I obtain one...mike

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
:eek:

I found the information in about a minute, good luck!

Plumber's Licenses
To do plumbing work in Oregon you need a license. You also need to register with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board. And you need to register your business with the Oregon Department of Consumer & Business Services. To find out about the Construction Contractors Board, check the information at the beginning of the Oregon section. To register your business with Consumer & Business Services you need to fill out a Boiler/Plumbing Business Registration Application. You can get this from:
Department of Consumer & Business Services
Building Codes Division
1535 Edgewater NW
Salem, OR 97310
(503) 373-1268
Fax: (503) 378-2322
http://www.oregonbcd.org
This registration costs $150 and it's good for one year.
The Division also issues the following plumbing licenses:

• Journeyman plumber
  • Solar heating and cooling installer
  • Residential water-heater installer
  • Water treatment installer
The Division will review your application and if you're eligible they'll send you information on the exam they require. For the journeyman license you need a high school diploma or equivalent and four years of plumbing experience or completion of an approved apprenticeship program. For the water treatment installer license you need a high school diploma or equivalent and 18 months of water treatment installation experience or a plumbing apprentice program or 3,000 hours of work experience. The Division may accept military experience if it's relevant and properly documented.
The journeyman exam is closed book with 100 questions and lasts three hours. It covers:

• drains and vents/sewers
  • water supply/backflow prevention
  • code
  • general knowledge
  • installation practices/methods materials
  • special wastes/roof drains
  • fixtures/trim
  • excavation
  • inspection/test/permits
  • mathematics, pressure, volume, grade, offsets
After you pass the exam with a score of 75% or better, you need to pass a practical exam which tests your mechanical skills on fabricating and assembling pipes, fixtures, and other apparatus.
If you have an active journeyman license from another state, you may be able to apply for a reciprocal journeyman license in Oregon. Check with the Division for details.
Here are the licenses and what they cost:
License Fee Journeyman $100 Solar heating and cooling installer $100 Water Treatment Installer $100 Residential Water Heater Installer
$100
Recommended Reading for the Plumbing Exams Oregon State Plumbing Specialty Code
Oregon State One and Two Family Dwelling Specialty Code
Oregon Revised Statutes
Oregon Administrative Rules
Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Code

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts