Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok were in trouble, it seems building permits could become the next fossil if it passes, it will allow homeowners to make improvements costing less than $35,000 to their home/real estate without first obtaining a building permit. :eek:

Wow :eek:

Oregon_Ballot_Measure_63_(2008)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Basically they're allowing people to add extensions to their house with no permit. That's going to be a disaster. When someone gets hurt after their extension collapses on them watch the state get sued for not requiring inspections by the same guy who demanded they not do inspections.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll let you know here if it passes.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Hopefully it wont. Last year the Gov. wanted to abolish State License down here. Just do away with them and let the rats take over, luckily it didn't make it far.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok were in trouble, it seems building permits could become the next fossil if it passes, it will allow homeowners to make improvements costing less than $35,000 to their home/real estate without first obtaining a building permit. :eek:

Wow :eek:

Oregon_Ballot_Measure_63_(2008)
Things are different everywhere, but I would be kind of surprised to see it happen. Here everything is tied into the Department of Insurance with the rationale that you can't have a basis of insuring without a basis of code. Insurers and their lobbyists won't stand for paying claims on a poorly built/designed structure that they otherwise would not have too.

J.C.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A failure.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Lucky here in VA in the cities even a gc can not pull mechanical permits. That trade must apply for the permits. I have have to have a "Building" endorsement along with a state contractors license to do any alterations or modifications to a structure due to the insurance companies. They got tired of paying out money due to people and property getting hurt or damaged to to negligence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts