Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday a guy on an acquaintance's job tested a chop saw on his wrist.

Turns out chops saws work very efficiently at removing hands. Took the hand clean off. Hand was laying on the chop saw. Am told by eye witnesses it was a clean, surgical looking cut.

Cut was about 3 " up the forearm. 45 degree angle.

He wasn't my acquaintance's employee. He worked in a wood products manufacturing plant. My acquaintance contracted out the manufacturing of a couple lines. This guy was an employee of the contractor.

My acquaintance is in the process of taking the entire operation in house. Then the contractor will be history. This guy was next on the list. In a few hours (as in 2 to 3) he was going to be called into the office to be hired. Still no workman's comp either way.

He was cutting a treated 4x6. After he had the saw running he was moving the 4x6 and it slipped off the other support, jamming his hand up against the saw blade.

The acquaintance provided first aid care for the 30 minutes it took for medical care to arrive. Per medical professional's instructions they put the hand on ice in an ice chest.

Cops showed up. All gung ho to take charge even though everything was under control. "Where's the hand?" "In the ice chest." He flipped open the lid, turned green, and silently walked away to regain his composure.

Guy was choppered to a major hospital where they reattached his hand in a long surgery.

(I have close friends in management with this company, hence the details.)

I saw the thread on workman's comp. No one there (the company the guy worked at) has it. It promises to be quite messy.

So... I know this wasn't a plumbing job. But take a lesson. Actually, take several of them. Be safe.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Safety should always be #1. I cant tell you how many times I have nailed my hands to a wall, shot myself in the leg with a 12d ring shank nail, stapled my foot to a floor with 1-1/2 staple gun, been cut by saws, and so on. seems we get cocky because we done something so many times we forget about safety. My worst one was I was removing fuel tanks from a car using a welder cranked wide open to cut the straps. I never, and I mean never used a welding helmet because I had welded so much I could feel what the rod was doing. Well, this time the rod hit the tank instead of the strap and powow! 3rd degree burns on my leg. Not fun.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Safety should always be #1. I cant tell you how many times I have nailed my hands to a wall, shot myself in the leg with a 12d ring shank nail, stapled my foot to a floor with 1-1/2 staple gun, been cut by saws, and so on. seems we get cocky because we done something so many times we forget about safety. My worst one was I was removing fuel tanks from a car using a welder cranked wide open to cut the straps. I never, and I mean never used a welding helmet because I had welded so much I could feel what the rod was doing. Well, this time the rod hit the tank instead of the strap and powow! 3rd degree burns on my leg. Not fun.

Note to self: NEVER work near Bill

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
:eek: Bill, I think you have been the star of a few safety training videos I've watched.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I personaly learned the hard way that you unplug a right angle drill when changing out the bit. Chuck was taped to the cord of the drill. As I was trying to loosen the bit out of the drill, the trigger was rested on my hip. Well, the drill fired up with my hand on the chuck, and the chuck in the drill and pulled my thumb (and a lot tendons with it) half way around the drill head. Yes, it hurt. Right hand has never been the same. Still gets sore from time to time, this happend about 7 yrs ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts