Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By chance, has anyone written this exam recently? I'm a residential low rise plumber, just about to finish my last term of trade school (Advanced), and from I've been hearing, some stuff that is on red seal exam exam we don't even learn in school. Me being a low rise resindential plumber doen't help either. All I do at work basically is R/I, bath tubs, finishings and basements lol. I know nothing about hoisting and rigging, swimming pools, etc. Basically I just want to know if anyone has an actual copy of the exam, or any questions on this exam, SOMETHING lol. Anything would help, thx!

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you find anything out about the exam.I am almost finished my last term in school and am getting ready to write soon. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What do you mean you know nothing about hoisting and rigging? At Conestogo College you have to have your hoisting and rigging card to graduate the coruse???

Advice for the red seal exam (from what I have been told) anything that you took in all three courses is fair game. You get both code books (national and provincial) and 4 hours to complete the test. It is not as bad as your weekly unit tests that you had in school.

·
Registered
25 Posts
At Humber college we did hoisting and rigging in basic. We watched a video and filled out a book of questions and answers. As for the Red Seal there are 2-3 hoisting and rigging questions, 3-5 health and safety questions as well.
As for weekly test, mine are in Advanced 10 -15 pages and take upwards of 2 -3 hours. I guess it depends on the instructor.
The Red Seal is 125 questions, has everything from reverse osmosis to pumps to cooling tower questions. You must know about low water cut offs, pressure switches, zone valves, radiant heat etc... I do not have the break down (ie. % of questions but will find it and post it)
Colleges teach a curriculum mandated by the government of Ontario whereas the Red Seal is more or less BC and Alberta's test. We in Ontario have adopted about 80% of their code and have not fully gone National as most people think. Therefore what you learn in school is governed by Provincial govt. and not the National code. Why they give you the National Code and NOT Ontario Reg. 350/06 is beyond me.
Well that is enough for me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Do you mean the Ontario Province, exam, or the Inter-Provincial Red Seal exam where you are a ticketed plumber accross Canada?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Scott. The inter-provincial exam is no more. The Red Seal ticket allows you to work in Calgary or Toronto. There is a stipulation, even though you are a licensed plumber you may have to write that municipalities exam. That would keep Toronto plumbers working in Toronto other than a plumber from Calgary.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Can you elaborate a bit more? Last I heard the 2005 National Plumbing Code was so "all encompassing" that all Provinces were going to adopt it with very few, if any, amendments. To the extent that the Plumbing school I went to stopped making guys buy the BC Plumbing Code and just have them buy the National Code to save them $$$ and make things simpler.

Now you're suggesting things are going the otherway? Last I heard I am certified to work accross Canada as a Plumber as per the Inter-Provincial Red Seal in my wallet.

I understand some cities, have their own "codes," but they are often just slightly amended Plumbing Codes with preferences - like typical areas where they have inspectors with certain preferences. I also know that every municipality is responsible for starting their own Cross Connection/Backflow prevention program and administering/inspecting it, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Scott, In Ontario we adopted about 80% -85% of the National Code (BC's) We still have our code it is Ontario Regulation 350/06 Code and Guide for plumbers. When our students (apprentices) write our exam they are given the National Code. The main difference is that we have a #7 which is the Part of the Code and the national uses a #2. For example if I was to look up
Sheet Metal Leaders: Our code is 7.2.6.9. (1)
7 is the part.
7.2 is the section
7.2.6.is the subsection
7.2.6.9. (1) is the sentence
The National is the same except is is 2.2.6.9.(1)
When my students write I tell them to disregard the first # and the majority of the code is the same.
And yes, you as a "Red Seal" holder are entitled to work across Canada but as I said earlier if you want to work in Mississauga for example they have the right to make you write their municipal exam. It is a cash grab and most do not use this by-law but it would keep a plumber from Mississauga working and not an out of towner.
You are correct with the inspectors as well as the Backflow. In the GTA we have a lot of super inspectors who do all. It is tough to hire a plumber only to inspect plumbing nowadays. $$$

·
Registered
1 Posts
C of Q

I recently wrote the Red Seal exam. They broke it down into 8 categories:
1. Occupational skills 2. Piping preparation and assembly 3. Drainage and venting systems 4. Water service and distribution 5. Fixtures, appliances and water treatment 6. Hydronic heating 7. Specialized systems 8. Maitience and repairs.

Exhausting test, I doubt I passed :(

Hint: learn how to size water distribution and water service systems they asked me about 5 questions on this, and learn the proper order to assemble joints (compression, hub/spigot, brazing, asbestos cement piping)

Jake

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Jake, I helped two guys a couple of weeks ago. I will see how they did and get back to you. Two more friends are going this Friday. Where did you go to school?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently wrote the Red Seal exam. They broke it down into 8 categories:
1. Occupational skills 2. Piping preparation and assembly 3. Drainage and venting systems 4. Water service and distribution 5. Fixtures, appliances and water treatment 6. Hydronic heating 7. Specialized systems 8. Maitience and repairs.

Exhausting test, I doubt I passed :(

Hint: learn how to size water distribution and water service systems they asked me about 5 questions on this, and learn the proper order to assemble joints (compression, hub/spigot, brazing, asbestos cement piping)

Jake
Hey Jake I myself just finished school (Conestoga College) I wrote the Red Seal exam in toronto just after school and when I took the exam I found it to be the hardest exam I have ever taken. I actually used all 4 hours and could have used even more time. I found the diagram booklet that they gave me was missing things such as vents and specific numbers. I filled a complaint about the exam and did not hear a thing back. When I got my marks I fould that I had only gotten a 68%. I did find that there were things on that exam that were way outside of what many would consider our trade such as process piping and A/C questions.

I reported my marks back to the college and found that only 3 people out of our entire class had passed. The people who did pass only just passed with like 70-71%. A formal complaint about this exam has been filed and perhaps something will be done about it in the future.

I rewrote this exam yesterday and I prepared by spending an entire day reading over the national code. There are quite a few questions that come straight out of that code book. I am more then confident that I passed this time around as I was prepared for what the exam was like. Best of luck.

W

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Jake, I helped two guys a couple of weeks ago. I will see how they did and get back to you. Two more friends are going this Friday. Where did you go to school?
The new red seal exam is very challenging as it is not based on much to do with school at all. I noticed yesterday that there is not a single question on topics such as Wet venting, circuit venting. I actually dont remember there being much DWV questions at all.

I talked to the ministry and they said this test was just created and it was based on the National code to a small degree but the largest portion of the test is taken from the white training standards book as well as on the job experience, which I along with many people do not agree with.

·
Chief Putty Officer
52 Posts
Hey Jake I myself just finished school (Conestoga College) I wrote the Red Seal exam in toronto just after school and when I took the exam I found it to be the hardest exam I have ever taken. I actually used all 4 hours and could have used even more time. I found the diagram booklet that they gave me was missing things such as vents and specific numbers. I filled a complaint about the exam and did not hear a thing back. When I got my marks I fould that I had only gotten a 68%. I did find that there were things on that exam that were way outside of what many would consider our trade such as process piping and A/C questions.

I reported my marks back to the college and found that only 3 people out of our entire class had passed. The people who did pass only just passed with like 70-71%. A formal complaint about this exam has been filed and perhaps something will be done about it in the future.

I rewrote this exam yesterday and I prepared by spending an entire day reading over the national code. There are quite a few questions that come straight out of that code book. I am more then confident that I passed this time around as I was prepared for what the exam was like. Best of luck.

W
IMO, red seal exams SHOULD be difficult. IMO, too many young people today want instant gratification and aren't prepared to do what it takes to earn, learn and survive in todays world. If you only got 68%, you have some learning left to do. Plumbing isn't a video game, it is all about public health, and requires real brain work. Instead of complaining to the board that the test is too hard, study hard on the areas that you had trouble with, rewrite it, and maybe then you'll ace it. Personally I would be very unhappy if I only got 70% and actually passed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
IMO, red seal exams SHOULD be difficult. IMO, too many young people today want instant gratification and aren't prepared to do what it takes to earn, learn and survive in todays world. If you only got 68%, you have some learning left to do. Plumbing isn't a video game, it is all about public health, and requires real brain work. Instead of complaining to the board that the test is too hard, study hard on the areas that you had trouble with, rewrite it, and maybe then you'll ace it. Personally I would be very unhappy if I only got 70% and actually passed.

I find that to be the rudest comment I have ever heard. I have worked very hard to get where I am now. I went through trade school and finished every session with nothing less then a 90% average. I worked and studied hard. I did not drink and party my way through trade school. See I am not in my 20's. Our complaint to the ministry was based on a new test that every one was failing and many of us took note of some questions that were just blatently wrong. I filled 6 challenges based on several questions that the right answer was just not provided within the 4 choices. As well as the quality of the diagram booklet. The printer had some how left out all of the venting in every one of the diagrams. So how can you be asked specific questions on drainage and venting if there is no venting? And through the course of our complaint in which we had the colleges full backing the e am was changed to fix the diagram booklet as well as fix the questions that provided the wrong answer. I am happy to say that I rewrote the updated exam and pulled off a 93%. While I don't dissagree with your statment about plumbing being about public health, and that is a statment I believe in deeply, I do not agree with your stance on my previous performace on the exam. That is typical journeyman behaviour. It can't be anything other then the apprentices fault is such a poor and negative attitude. When one person fails the exam it's a cryin ass shame. When less then 5% of all apprentices pass this exam ( of those who have written in the 3 months) then there is a problem. And that problem was found to be with the exam not the person wrighting it.

·
8,104 Posts
And that problem was found to be with the exam not the person wrighting it.
It can happen when exams are revised. I was one of the first to take a new plumbing inspectors exam in Texas. The previous exam was open book and a piece of cake. They were trying to get better qualified inspectors and went closed book, 2 day exam with a 3 story model set up to inspect for improper installations. It had multiple stacks and a code violation on one stack could effect a mulitude of problems.So I ask for the Chief examiner to come back so I could point out some conflicts in the model. At first he acted like I was some kind of DA. I kept pointing out problems between the model and the answer sheet. He finaly just told me to finish the exam and go back to where I came from. I scored a 90 and they revised the model and answer sheet. Sometimes someone has to stand up and point errors out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Red Seal Exam Questions

Preparing to take the exam soon in Toronto, Ontario.

It's unfortunate that Ontario is not caught up with the national education for plumbers. If you are educated outside of Ontario, chances are you know about gas fitting and electrical. Although you are required to know about it, it is not taught in the Ontario curriculum. That does make this test a little more difficult for us in Ontario. Keep reading. Ask lots of questions.

The Red Seal test contains the following

Percentage of questions for each block of the trade

Titles of blocks Percentage (%) of questions on exam*
A - COMMON OCCUPATIONAL SKILLS 12

B - DRAINAGE, WASTE, VENTS AND PRIVATE SEWAGE DISPOSAL SYSTEMS 28

C - WATER SERVICE AND DISTRIBUTION, PLUMBING FIXTURES AND APPLIANCES 22

D - HYDRONIC HEATING/COOLING SYSTEMS 13

E - SPECIALIZED PIPING SYSTEMS 10

F - PUMPS 6

G - MAINTENANCE AND REPAIRS 9

Total 100

Below is a link to the red seal example test questions:

http://www.red-seal.ca/images/SampleQuestion_Plumber.html

Also, this website lets you take practice tests for all four semesters (Outside of Ontario, the apprenticeship has four semesters.) There is also a option to take a practice Red Seal exam. For a fee, of course. Only about 100 to take a test on every module in every semester. I have not personally tried it, but it looks promising.

http://trades.exambank.com/plumbing.html

Reactions: njoy plumbing

·
Registered
439 Posts
Oh, and one more thing for the Ontario guys. Do you know anything about Medical Gas piping?? Well you should if you are taking the Red Seal...just a bit of a heads up. :whistling2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
By chance, has anyone written this exam recently? I'm a residential low rise plumber, just about to finish my last term of trade school (Advanced), and from I've been hearing, some stuff that is on red seal exam exam we don't even learn in school. Me being a low rise resindential plumber doen't help either. All I do at work basically is R/I, bath tubs, finishings and basements lol. I know nothing about hoisting and rigging, swimming pools, etc. Basically I just want to know if anyone has an actual copy of the exam, or any questions on this exam, SOMETHING lol. Anything would help, thx

Are you kidding me? You are asking for a copy of the exam.? #1. even if there were an exam out there no one would give it to you. It is up to you to sign off your Plumbing Standards book. If you have that you should have a hope of passing. The exam is based on experience learnt from your 5 or so years of hands on training. We need well trained experienced plumbers out there. Remember it is a SKILLED trade, No hacks need apply.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts