Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new to this site and just wondering about Ontario Plumbers. I have completed the first 2 rounds of school with a 85% avg. and am hoping to attend school this fall for advanced. I have been out of school for 2 months now as well as work, there does not seem to be much happening. I have worked about 9 days since getting out of school. Someone told me that it is harder for a 4th year apprentice to find work then a 2nd year...is this true? Plus does anyone think that being out of work this long will affect my eligiblity in going to school this fall?????

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Hello Waynewright! Good job with the school. maybe its harder in your area for a 4yr apprentice because the 4th yr apprentice legally cannot do anymore than a 2yr apprentice? And at some company's if you cant make them anymore money by working alone then they pick the cheaper of the two apprentices. Dont worry things will turn around sooner or later and when it does go full bore and make your some money and get you some good on the job experiences. Nobody can ever take your trade away from you! Goodluck!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Welcome to PZ waynewright34

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey there buddy. I hear you. I'm a third/fourth year from Toronto and it I have had to step it up a notch in the last few months. The other guys are right, it is cheaper to get someone else to slug tools all day. But I have some good news for you, once you finish your Advances Level 3 schooling you will be fine. Part of the course is your backflow certificate. With the new legislation requiring all commercial buildings (In Toronto at least) to have backflow preventers installed and maintained, having your Backflow ticket is a sure way to employment. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

Hey there buddy. I hear you. I'm a third/fourth year from Toronto and it I have had to step it up a notch in the last few months. The other guys are right, it is cheaper to get someone else to slug tools all day. But I have some good news for you, once you finish your Advances Level 3 schooling you will be fine. Part of the course is your backflow certificate. With the new legislation requiring all commercial buildings (In Toronto at least) to have backflow preventers installed and maintained, having your Backflow ticket is a sure way to employment. Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I was wondering if you had completed level 3 as of yet? I actually just found out that I will be starting level 3 come this sept. Which means that I will have done all 3 components of school in one year. I was wondering if you had any advice and tips for Advanced????

·
Registered
439 Posts
I was a bit of a late bloomer and just took my Level one in the Spring Jan-Feb (George Brown, Toronto). I might have even seen you there lol. Sorry, Can't help you too much. But I can say this from others I know who took it. For some reason they have a 60% fail rate at the backflow prevention test. Not quite sure why, but be careful is all I can say. Maybe the final is full of trick questions or something.

One question for you, how hard is it to take two levels one after another? I wanted to go Sept - Oct and then again in Jan - Feb. How possible do you think this is? Or do you have to wait longer between classes?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well basic was not to bad I took it (Conestoga College) January and Feb and on my last day they said there was a seat available for Level 2 (intermediate) and asked if anyone watned it. No one raised their hand and I felt I was able to be off for another 2 months without a problem. I found that taking level 1 and 2 back to back did not really help me that much. The first week of intermediate is really just a basic review anyway. Intermediate just wraps up venting (Circuit and Yoke) and then you move on to fixtures and interceptors, BTU's Ect. I found that by the time I was done level 2 I had, had enough of school and wanted to get back out working again. Now there is not that much work in my area so I was able to get a spot in Advanced for this coming Sept. From what I was told you are supposed to wait a year between sessions in school, but I guess this does not apply in some cases. My major downfall is that I will be licenced come november and I will probably be the most inexperienced guy on the job site as I have never had time to apply what I have learned in school thus far...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ontario, Canada. Your basic five-year (9000 or whatever hours) apprenticeship. Not too much work here, worked for a gen. contractor today putting up drywall :glare::glare: for a bit of cash. Installing a power-vented HW Tank and new HE furnace at my grandparents later this week to stay busy. Also soldered a two floor doll-house from copper for my daughter last week to stay busy. Sounds like being an apprentice recently is a bit of a let-down all across North America.

So, Level two is really nothing special? Anyone here taken the advanced course recently and willing to let some of us in on what is discussed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts