Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
5,281 Posts
Were roughing in a little slab tomorrow. We will be using pex, home runs to the 3 exterior spigots. everything else will be in the walls on the stack out. those pics though, that 30/34 with the 1/8 bend and riser is more than likely an ac chase line. Terry knows what hes seeing there. A lot of dryer vents in this area done the same way but with a 90 at the riser. we get a couple calls a year to come suck the water out of them. most of the stub out below grade, and turned up again. so theres no where for the moisture to go. but that water pipe is bullsh!t. what ever inspector let that fly needs his asss whooped.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
5,281 Posts
With pex do you cover the lines under the slab rough or just where they come
up through the concrete???? Most say you dont need it at all on pex but I wonder
if it is wise to do anyway?? Some day that chit is gonna leak but you might be dead
by then so who cares I guess.....

When I used to do 2 bathroom slab homes, , saving a few dollars was never on my mind .....
with type L soft copper I used to put aramaflex covering on both the hot and cold
lines completely under the slab......It probably cost me another 50 bucks at that time
but that was all the way back in 79 and we have never heard of anything going bad yet....
Just where it passes through the slab. No one would want to pay to have copper insualted in the slab. I’ve done that once on a million dollar home in 22yrs. Copper doesn’t do well in slabs down here. There are some soils that will eat it alive. I can’t remember the last time I used copper on a slab. It’s been 15yrs or more. But all commercial jobs even if it specs cpvc I use copper.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
5,281 Posts
Well it might be more expensive to insulate copper lines in a slab but
I have never worried about the 50-100 bucks more that was gonna come out of
my pocket... I just did not want to hear any chit down the road from ground up
hot water lines in the slab...

If it were my own home I would 100% certainly insulate everything...

the material cost is one part, but the additional labor to install is another. 2 bath house with about 4 manifolds, and 5 home runs for spigots, ice maker ect, id charge at least another grand to do that.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
5,281 Posts
Ask that stupid SOB why he doesn’t require frost proof hose bibbs.
Breh it just doesn’t get that cold around here, last hard freeze we had was the 2013 national championship game. Backflows were spraying everywhere and half the damn town was in pasedena. We turned them off and stuck a card in the door.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
5,281 Posts
I realize that. I basically live down the skreet from youz

I was questioning his logic. Requires insulation on pipe but doesn’t require hose Bibb protection.
Ah. Gotcha. He also missed the vaccum breakers on the exterior spigots. I had them on site, but was testing him. He looked right at them but didn’t say anything about. 👀

1 - 9 of 9 Posts