Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stumbled onto these pictures on another site talking about defects appearing in Wirsbo Aquapex....
This guy was not worried about all the joints he laid under this slab but more worried about will the
fittings spit and fail some day.....

When we did slab rough every joint was above the slab installed into a manifold
and only full runs were allowed under concrete with no joints...covered with aramaflex.

I dont even know what the green drain lines are all about or what kind of lame ass
pipe was being used here

How many people would be ok with whole manifolds under a slab rough??

Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Vehicle Bicycle part

Plant Vertebrate Slope Grass Terrestrial plant

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The green pipe is thin wall sewer pipe and is probably being used for the AC refrigerant and drain lines.

Manifolds are never to be buried beneath the slab. No joints under the slab except brazed…..

The pipe can’t run in the same ditch rubbing each other…..

That would fail inspection anywhere.

Mark,
Why are you roughing in jobs in Florida ?

J/k 🤡
Now, that hurt me deeeeep
I got this picture off of Terry Loves site

you are probably right about the green stuff... it looks like
white pvc deep is under those lines in the trench...

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: In no way shape or form do I think this is an appropriate install.

I am wondering, by the way those manifolds are all bunched together in one spot if they’re planning on boxing out the concrete to accommodate some kind of access to the connections.

He said in his post that he was concerned about the splitting at where the expansion clamps started on the pipe
but it was too late to worry about this because they had already poured the concrete...
I assume its all been buried alive back in early spring 2022. o_O :eek: :eek:

Its not my problem

Brown Amber Fluid Paint Wood

Brown Amber Fluid Paint Wood

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's terrible plumbing. Future repair work for our kids.......

It makes me wonder how long those joints will last under concrete,,
someone will be in tears some day tearing up that floor and finding that mess
down in that hole

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Were roughing in a little slab tomorrow. We will be using pex, home runs to the 3 exterior spigots. everything else will be in the walls on the stack out. those pics though, that 30/34 with the 1/8 bend and riser is more than likely an ac chase line. Terry knows what hes seeing there. A lot of dryer vents in this area done the same way but with a 90 at the riser. we get a couple calls a year to come suck the water out of them. most of the stub out below grade, and turned up again. so theres no where for the moisture to go. but that water pipe is bullsh!t. what ever inspector let that fly needs his asss whooped.

With pex do you cover the lines under the slab rough or just where they come
up through the concrete???? Most say you dont need it at all on pex but I wonder
if it is wise to do anyway?? Some day that chit is gonna leak but you might be dead
by then so who cares I guess.....

When I used to do 2 bathroom slab homes, , saving a few dollars was never on my mind .....
with type L soft copper I used to put aramaflex covering on both the hot and cold
lines completely under the slab......It probably cost me another 50 bucks at that time
but that was all the way back in 79 and we have never heard of anything going bad yet....

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just where it passes through the slab. No one would want to pay to have copper insualted in the slab. I’ve done that once on a million dollar home in 22yrs. Copper doesn’t do well in slabs down here. There are some soils that will eat it alive. I can’t remember the last time I used copper on a slab. It’s been 15yrs or more. But all commercial jobs even if it specs cpvc I use copper.
Well it might be more expensive to insulate copper lines in a slab but
I have never worried about the 50-100 bucks more that was gonna come out of
my pocket... I just did not want to hear any chit down the road from ground up
hot water lines in the slab...

If it were my own home I would 100% certainly insulate everything...

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Insulation costs more than the pipe when you’re running pex buddy.
probably true, but for my own home it would be done for sure

whats money anyway..??
Sparky says I am working on my second million so what me worry??

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Why would you use pex instead of copper ?

I doubt you’d use pex, I could understand the idea behind insulating the copper but most people who use pex do so because of the price difference. Not always, but mostly. Some places the water and soil are not copper friendly. You can protect the copper but then it becomes even more expensive to install and/or possibly maintain with treatment and filtering.

I really dont care what they throw underground... pex or copper and ANYTHING is
better than throwing cpvc underground with glued joints too....

they throw the pex under slabs here and they feel it does not need any kind of covering
on both hot and cold lines....

I realize it will last out the warranty of one year but that is just not the level of quality
I would like to be stuck with if were my house..

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Why would you use pex instead of copper ?

I doubt you’d use pex, I could understand the idea behind insulating the copper but most people who use pex do so because of the price difference. Not always, but mostly. Some places the water and soil are not copper friendly. You can protect the copper but then it becomes even more expensive to install and/or possibly maintain with treatment and filtering.
I have used both pex and l copper and it appears I am more fond of the wirsbo pex over running the copper..

Yesterday I just cleaned out our back building where I had about 5 partial rolls of 3/4
type L and k copper just hanging on some hooks in the back room.... the stuff has
been sitting in the dark since about 1998 and I had no plans on ever using it..
The last slab I did with that copper was for some jack-leg that I had to about kill to get paid
so I swore off slab construction back in 1998

I did not want the stuff just laying around waiting for some crack head to break in
and steal some day so
I took it to the scrap yard and got about 500 bucks out of the clean copper and
another 150 out of some #2 copper....

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well I was offering insight to pex pipe I’m not on this website hourly so be proud that you posted ten million times and complain about everything sucks .
You have better things to do than sit around looking at this site...

thats a good thing.

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Maybe he does,maybe he dont lolololo
I just get on here to look at while I drink my morning coffe
and then go take a big dump... 🤠 🤠

·
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I read the PZ forums every morning as I feed my toilet…
I find that PZ relaxes me and I usually drop a huge brick in the john.... 🤠 🤠

1 - 12 of 12 Posts