Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a call yesterday for a leak detection/location and slab repair. The home is 10 years old with loop and manifold copper water distribution system, pvc water service, pvc dwv, cmu exterior walls, metal frame indoors, monolithic slab on grade. This is a pretty standard call and house type in my area. I average about 3-4 calls like this a week.

Cutting the McDonalds arches:

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Charging the offending line to verify the leak. Notice the use of pex and a sharkbite to quickly fabricate the rig.

Next we ping out the other manifold. I could pull out the navitrack but this is so much faster. Notice the use of pex again. Notice the condition of the copper manifold. I cut it open for the customer's viewing.

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other mani is on the other side of the bathroom under the t/s valve(delta crap as usual). Notice how they cut the right # of red and blue sleeves and then put the 2 reds on the cold with 1 blue, and then the remaining 2 blue ones on the hot mani. Ahh craftsmenship at it's finest.

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now for the attic work. 3/4 pex is dropped in both walls and tied in.

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The whole thing took 3 hours including cutting open the mani for you to see and taking pictures along the way. Oh yeah, got ta pimp my ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
That could never happen in pa where I am from , everthing would freeze in the attic , but it sure looks like it works well in fl

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
That could never happen in pa where I am from , everthing would freeze in the attic , but it sure looks like it works well in fl
Welcome to the forum, pull up a seat & introduce yourself in the introductions section.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, copper turns green. What's wrong with it?
Uh, it's leaking. That's why I've been called out. When you scrape of the oxidation with a wire brush you will see the underlying pitting. Those pits are future pinholes.

I'll post a pick of the pitting.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pic of manifold at job.

pics of manifold after brushing off the oxides. I hit the 1/2 leg with torch to enhance the detail.

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm lost here. You removed the copper above the slap, but reused what was under the slab?

What is to prevent that from leaking tomorrow from the same pitting issues the stuff you replaced had?

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm lost here. You removed the copper above the slap, but reused what was under the slab?

What is to prevent that from leaking tomorrow from the same pitting issues the stuff you replaced had?

Nothing. HO does not want to spend the $ on a total repipe. I told him that I could charge him to do an electronic leak location, and then charge him to do a slab repair that would replace about 12" of pipe underground and he would then have to fix his floor and anything else that was damaged in the process of accessing the leak.

OR

I could just do a bypass for about the same price and replace the whole loop and both manifolds and he doesn't have to fix his floor.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Electronic leak location?

Um, shut off the main and connect a gauge to the system.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Leak detector....listening for the sound of the pin hole leak(s).

The job he did is very common in my parts. However I still get request for me to open up the floor do the repair. Stupid as all hell but cheaper.

I have a question, how did you know where all the mani's would be located? Was it a big house? And how the hell did you bang it out in a few hours? Your faster than me!!

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, ok. I give up a trade secret. cut the 1st mani open. fish 1/4" pex down the offending loop. When the stick has met with resistance, have the owner jubber the pex while you walk around an listen for it tapping on da udder mani. As far as the speed goes, it just comes to ya after a 1000 repipes or so. I can walk thru a house and I build a mental model of the home. When I go up in the attic I use markers like ducts, wires, vent stacks etc to keep my bearings. Cimb up, poke 2 holes in da top plates sling da pex and go down stairs to build ya manis.:thumbup:

·
Plumber, Totally
86 Posts
Ok, ok. I give up a trade secret. cut the 1st mani open. fish 1/4" pex down the offending loop. When the stick has met with resistance, have the owner jubber the pex while you walk around an listen for it tapping on da udder mani. As far as the speed goes, it just comes to ya after a 1000 repipes or so. I can walk thru a house and I build a mental model of the home. When I go up in the attic I use markers like ducts, wires, vent stacks etc to keep my bearings. Cimb up, poke 2 holes in da top plates sling da pex and go down stairs to build ya manis.:thumbup:
Very common repair in Alabama, as well. I've even converted many (approx 20) of these jobs to homeowners insurance jobs as well. Pays great, and if you speak intelligently to the claims examiner, you'll get a whole-house repipe out of it! It's in the insurance company's best interests to get all the pressure pipe out of the slab! You have to sell it to the insurance rep. a little bit...no problem if you know what you're talking about. I have even sub'd the sheetrock repair as well, and made a tidy markup!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts