Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is pipe fitter and why is it any different from a plumber. OK go ahead a throw me to the dogs for not knowing, cause I don't get it.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
What is pipe fitter and why is it any different from a plumber. OK go ahead a throw me to the dogs for not knowing, cause I don't get it.
Pipe fitters work on piping that has nothing to do with potable water or sewage, like process piping, gas pipeline work, coolant piping for power generation stations, etc.

The difference between a plumber and a pipefitter is one brown arm.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get it now, like when I see a refinery plant all that pipe work that looks cool going in many direction like it meant to go that way, that is pipe fitting.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is pipe fitting mainly engineered like paint by numbers.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
So is pipe fitting mainly engineered like paint by numbers.
To some extent, depends on the project really, I ran quite a few new high rise projects, and none of them were piped to the architects specs, but rather to my drawings, the fitters doing the heating and cooling operate under the same principal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've done small pipe fitting and enjoyed it. 6" weld pipe and under for heating, chilled and gas piping. It's a change from plumbing and you have to be precise with measurements and squaring it up for the welder. Back breaking work but still taking pride in running pipe.

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
Its hard to turn a pipe-fitter into a plumber, but a plumber could make the transition very easily.
Agreed, I spent a few years pipefitting on the oilsands plants in Fort McMurray. Not bad work, I prefer plumbing. A plumber can always work as a fitter. A fitter needs school to work as a plumber.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I started out in a union school in an area where pipefitting and plumbing were combined.

There was a lot more to pipefitting than has so far been described in this thread. Learning how to make eccentric offsets and fit for a welder and so on are examples. Working for a mechanical contractor back then, I often had to fit for a welder, holding pipe while it was being tacked, etc. The pipefitters were usually very interested in the welding and pipe welding paid better than plumbing, as I recall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I worked for a firm that hired me as a plumber. I ended up fitting mech. rooms for 4 years. My boss always said you could make a plumber a pipe fitter but never a pipe fitter a plumber. When you add slope/grade the pipe fitter goes blank.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
When I was a first year. I called a fitter a plumber by mistake. I can tell ya that will get you an earfull. They don't like that for some reason:whistling2:

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I was trying to stay out of this, but I can't. The only real similarities are both crafts work with something that's got a hole in it from 1 end to the other. Well, there's more than that, but anyway I can't agree completely that it's easier to make a fitter out of a plumber ,cause when I welded pipe ,I had some plumbers try to fit for me that could never even manage to grind a decent bevel. On the other side I've known some fitters and welders that could'nt figure out the difference between a santee & combo if you told them 50 times.:confused1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts