Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent a crew out on Thursday to a co-worker's grandparents house to replace the galvanized pipes in the attic with CPVC. They replaced both hot and cold horizontal runs ONLY. Friday we replaced the water heater. Today they called and said the hot water has an oily/greasy feel to it and when they fill up a glass they can see an oily residue in the water. I have never heard of this before; anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Any chance a piece of the new material was not new off the shelf and may have been contaminated somehow? Sometimes it's right in front of us. Can do samples preferably from a 2 handle faucet of hot and cold to narrow it down.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any chance a piece of the new material was not new off the shelf and may have been contaminated somehow? Sometimes it's right in front of us. Can do samples preferably from a 2 handle faucet of hot and cold to narrow it down.

Everything was bought at the supply house that morning; shelf-life of material is unknown. I don't stock CPVC at the office because I hardly mess with the stuff. They say it is only from the hot water side; I am going over there Monday just wanted to see if anyone might have an idea

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Everything was bought at the supply house that morning; shelf-life of material is unknown. I don't stock CPVC at the office because I hardly mess with the stuff. They say it is only from the hot water side; I am going over there Monday just wanted to see if anyone might have an idea
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the problem is more than likely coming from the hot water tank... did your guys drain the tank and refill it... it could be crap laying in the tank that got stirred up when you refilled it.
It was doing it Thursday after new pipes were installed and old water heater was still in place. Friday we installed a new heater. If it was with the old heater you would think the issue would have been present before we did any work

·
Super Moderator
12,634 Posts
I sent a crew out on Thursday to a co-worker's grandparents house to replace the galvanized pipes in the attic with CPVC. They replaced both hot and cold horizontal runs ONLY. Friday we replaced the water heater. Today they called and said the hot water has an oily/greasy feel to it and when they fill up a glass they can see an oily residue in the water. I have never heard of this before; anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any advice

You need to go to the cust. home to confirm the condition of the water. Take samples from different faucets, hot and cold. If you definitely see oily residue in a clean glass container, then I would tell cust. that they need to contact water purveyor. You as the plumber are not responsible for the quality of the water, only getting it into their home. My 2 cents.
I wouldn't think that the pipes you installed had oil or grease in them, but hey, ya never know.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I've never heard of a water heater causing oily residue but that would be the easiest fix for you. Manufacturing oopsie maybe but I doubt it. They say hot only so I would sample the cold supply to water heater for the oil, as well as the hot coming out. They are probably saying it was fine before new work was done. And it may be so but no matter your name is on it as the last one to touch it. Man good luck dude.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Call you manufacturer and find out if they are doing something different when it comes to manufacturing. Now that I read this again, it seems to me I noticed this problem while installing some heaters earlier this year. Must have been Bradford White, but not sure. I can't recall, but I thought manufacturers were doing something different.

Last ones I did before I went solo, got chlorinated with first filling to eliminate this problem.

·
I Married Up
16,933 Posts
In the early 90's I had this happen on several water heaters. It was a new brand of braided stainless steel supply lines at the time. Inside the stainless was black rubber hose. The black rubber was breaking down like a toilet flapper causing an oily/greasy residue in the hot water.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OS - :laughing::laughing:

Indie and plbgbiz - you might of hit the nail on the head.....the heater is a new Bradford and SS flex lines were used.

I will let ya'll know what happens when I go by there Monday

·
I Like Tater Tots
Plumber since 1979. 42 years and still rollin'
1,274 Posts
But didnt you say it was doing it Thursday after the repipe before the new heater on Friday?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But didnt you say it was doing it Thursday after the repipe before the new heater on Friday?

I did say that...but that was what they told me Saturday morning. If in fact it did happen Thursday you would think they would have mentioned it Friday to my guys. At this point I stumped until I see it for myself and able to investigate.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
maybe it's something coincidental and easy, like they have a bibb without a vacuum breaker with a hose laying in a bucket of oil and there was a break in the main thursday evening. :blink::laughing:
Nice Try

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
In the early 90's I had this happen on several water heaters. It was a new brand of braided stainless steel supply lines at the time. Inside the stainless was black rubber hose. The black rubber was breaking down like a toilet flapper causing an oily/greasy residue in the hot water.

i've ran into this a few times also, it was like a sooty oily substanse coming outta the hot water, ive ran into it with the black flex hoses they used to have also, could also b the o-ring on the flex line when the water runs through it, like touching a old korky that crap gets everywhere, test it before the water heater and straight outta the water heater...good luck :thumbsup:

·
I Like Tater Tots
Plumber since 1979. 42 years and still rollin'
1,274 Posts
I always hard pipe my heaters with copper and have never had this problem. :whistling2:

Reactions: RW Plumbing
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.