Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The province wants to ban oil fired furnaces, boilers, water heaters etc. as early as this coming December. This creates a huge problem because I won't be able to buy a new oil furnace for my house or even repair it because it's more than 20 years old. That'll be a shock to a lot of people who this winter who will be denied repair services and condemn them into a new heating system while the pipes are freezing and children becoming frozen lollipops. It's also nuts I just built a concrete pad and had a new tank installed this summer.

It also means heating oil businesses like the one who is supplying me is probably going to close his doors with the lack of sales, that means I'll have to pay 50% more from the other oil suppliers that cheat.

Should I buy a new furnace right now as a spare or have one installed now even if this one works perfectly fine or get kicked in the teeth in buying a 10-15K-20K-25K or more gas furnace with a gas pipe line in the street? Problem with gas is that they are complete thieves, they charge you even if you don't use any gas and I think it's more expensive too.

Last resort I can buy a new spare burner and parts right now or buy stuff online when the ban is effective.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,667 Posts
Thismakes me wonder what they are thinking in Canada.... So they are gonna save
the planet by freezing everyones balls off by getting away from fuel oil??? So what is the alternative fuel they
want you to go to ?? I bet its gonna be Electricity from windmills???

I would say if you were wise , you should buy 20 oil furnaces and store them away for the day
someone calls needing one badly... then charge 5 times what you paid for it..
if you had the spare change it would be a win win deal...

My guess is they will just go across the border and buy a new furnace in the USA and haul it
back unless customs trys to stop them

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
the planet by freezing everyones balls off by getting away from fuel oil??? So what is the alternative fuel they

He said they want to switch to gas.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
8,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I would say if you were wise , you should buy 20 oil furnaces and store them away for the day
someone calls needing one badly... then charge 5 times what you paid for it..
if you had the spare change it would be a win win deal...

My guess is they will just go across the border and buy a new furnace in the USA and haul it
back unless customs trys to stop them

The provincial government wants to eradicate fossil fuels and go full on electricity, they don't mention eliminating natural gas but it's still discriminatory to me. I've yet to read the 4 page regulation (45 day publication before it's official or turned down) It's easy for them to go with electricity because it's over abundant here and it owned by the government $$$.

Black market furnace from border crossing might a thing but maybe not. The 13 liter toilets were a huge black market deal in the 90's when they banned them for 6 liters. Everyone can install a toilet but not a furnace. I don't have room for spares for resale, I can make room for one in my basement though. I never did a furnace replacement but it shouldn't be too hard other than the ducting and the thermostat wiring/humidifier. I already replaced many parts in the burner assembly so the oil part I'm more familiar.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The province wants to ban oil fired furnaces, boilers, water heaters etc. as early as this coming December. This creates a huge problem because I won't be able to buy a new oil furnace for my house or even repair it because it's more than 20 years old. That'll be a shock to a lot of people who this winter who will be denied repair services and condemn them into a new heating system while the pipes are freezing and children becoming frozen lollipops. It's also nuts I just built a concrete pad and had a new tank installed this summer.

It also means heating oil businesses like the one who is supplying me is probably going to close his doors with the lack of sales, that means I'll have to pay 50% more from the other oil suppliers that cheat.

Should I buy a new furnace right now as a spare or have one installed now even if this one works perfectly fine or get kicked in the teeth in buying a 10-15K-20K-25K or more gas furnace with a gas pipe line in the street? Problem with gas is that they are complete thieves, they charge you even if you don't use any gas and I think it's more expensive too.

Last resort I can buy a new spare burner and parts right now or buy stuff online when the ban is effective.
You won't be able to afford fuel oil if Michigan's governor gets her wish. Enbridge's Line 5 is supposed to shut down on May 12. If it happens, fuel will get very expensive very quickly down east.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
You won't be able to afford fuel oil if Michigan's governor gets her wish. Enbridge's Line 5 is supposed to shut down on May 12. If it happens, fuel will get very expensive very quickly down east.
A lot of people are switching to gas anyway. Generally a touch cheaper per BTU, more efficient, takes up less space, and easier to service.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
8,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of people are switching to gas anyway. Generally a touch cheaper per BTU, more efficient, takes up less space, and easier to service.
Problem is you will never come out ahead with the price of a new furnace and outside trench with the gas meter.

I used to hook hundreds of gas furnaces and water heaters back in the day. The cost of a new furnace was about 1000$ but guess what the crooks that install them mark them up to 6000$ +. I'm going to have to check if I'm allowed to do it myself and then again I'm not an expert or fully equipped.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Problem is you will never come out ahead with the price of a new furnace and outside trench with the gas meter.

I used to hook hundreds of gas furnaces and water heaters back in the day. The cost of a new furnace was about 1000$ but guess what the crooks that install them mark them up to 6000$ +. I'm going to have to check if I'm allowed to do it myself and then again I'm not an expert or fully equipped.

All that's true if you're on NatGas and have to trench. We are mostly propane here so the cost of dropping a couple tanks on blocks next the house is almost nothing. Also, a lot of the rich folks get propane whole house generators installed too so they're already putting in a 500 or 1000 gallon tank and digging a trench.

·
Registered
191 Posts
All that's true if you're on NatGas and have to trench. We are mostly propane here so the cost of dropping a couple tanks on blocks next the house is almost nothing. Also, a lot of the rich folks get propane whole house generators installed too so they're already putting in a 500 or 1000 gallon tank and digging a trench.
Line 5 also supplies a schitt tonne of propane so that will get expensive too. Lots of municipalities won't allow large propane tanks if there is easy access to natural gas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts