Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today cutting in a new tee for a hose bib in a crawl i stumbled upon this hackery.. This work was done by a licensed plumber in my area:eek: :censored:

band iron everywhere i think i'm going to forward this the the senior plumbing inspector

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
other than piss poor workmanship there is band iron supporting pipe larger than 2", flat and back pitched vents, improper change of direction fitting in there somewhere short sweep 1/4 bends used for vertical to horizontal change..:blink: i know for a fact this shoit was never inspected

·
Hecho In America
4,161 Posts
Okay, it's hard to see all the backfall issues. Around these parts they won't bust us on strapping iron on pipe size, just distance between.

It does look like a Rube Goldberg design............

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
A+ Grade by me...:laughing:

Does the guy need a job?

I'll give him one at Redwood's On-Line Plumbing University...

Redwood's On-Line Plumbing University where you can go from Amateur-to-Pro in 30-Days

·
Son of a Plumber
105 Posts
Don't know about California code and what not but I'd more worried that the weight of all that cast iron would pull the house down :eek:

You guys do know that they make plastic DWV nowadays right?

(even comes in two colors!)

:thumbup:

(Sorry, I just don't get the attraction to CI and no hubs all over the place. Way too many points for it to fail imo.)

·
1,456 Posts
"Way too many points for it to fail imo."

I think 10' lenghs for pvc and tees have 3 points of connection on both so I dont know what you mean! OH and pvc and the like need more support so it wont sag OH and CI has flexability at those points of connection so failure under stress or SAG is less likely and when you pitch horizontaly "glued pipe" you must put stress on ells to keep verticals vertical not the case with CI

·
Son of a Plumber
105 Posts
"Way too many points for it to fail imo."

I think 10' lenghs for pvc and tees have 3 points of connection on both so I dont know what you mean! OH and pvc and the like need more support so it wont sag OH and CI has flexability at those points of connection so failure under stress or SAG is less likely and when you pitch horizontaly "glued pipe" you must put stress on ells to keep verticals vertical not the case with CI
:no: Sorry...disagree.

And as long as we're talking "real pipe" let's see some teracotta, orangeburg and lead water supply pipe!

:laughing:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you cant install any plastic here all metallic waste only copper dwv or cast iron.. what bothered me was it was installed by a guyed named nacho and not inspected...

·
Plumb Good
152 Posts
We pretty much never use CI in Memphis except for government jobs (your tax dollars at work).

With CI being so expensive, I'm surprised that Sr. Nacho didn't design the system a little more elegantly and save a couple dozen-or-so fittings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts